Save dialog default file name

Moderator: jsachs

oliverkalt

Save dialog default file name

Post by oliverkalt »

In version 4 when I "Save"ed an image that was Untitled, the dialog behaved as "Save as" and prompted with the original "Filename". In version 5 the behavior is almost the same but it prompts with "Filename-1". As I only use the Save dialog when I want to overwrite the original file this leads to more mouse clicks (or file name editing) which actually increases the risk of me overwriting the wrong file.

Is the default file name a user setting that I can adjust back to what it was in v4?

Thanks for any advice,
Oliver
ksinkel

Re: Save dialog default file name

Post by ksinkel »

V5 has a new feature -- you can save the workflow that created your image together with the image itself. However the workflow is only valid if the original image is also available. So a variant file name is suggestedto prevent inadvertent overwriting when you are saving to the folder holding the original file.

To overwrite the original file, just click on the original filename in the Save As dialog box and then save the file.

Kiril
Kiril Sinkel
Digital Light & Color
oliverkalt

Re: Save dialog default file name

Post by oliverkalt »

Kiril, thanks for the almost immediate answer!

Don't get me wrong, the workflows are a great thing that I use constantly. Also the new feature of saving workflows off the history tree is great. A bare-bones overwriting save command would be very useful though. What differences are remaining between the Save and the Save As dialog in v5 except the suggested Save in folder?

oliver