White balance with PWP 7 RAW

Moderator: jsachs

BKrivoruk
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Canon EOS 5DII

White balance with PWP 7 RAW

Post by BKrivoruk »

When I open RAW files from Canon 5DII, the images have strong blue-cyan tint. I tried various white balance settings, various tints - does not help. Images taken during normal daylight look good. Overcast or incandescent are blue. I don't have this issue with Canon XTI. I have taken the same image with XTI and 5dII. XTI looks good, 5DII is blue. I don't have this issue with PWP 6 with either camera.
ksinkel

Re: White balance with PWP 7 RAW

Post by ksinkel »

What is your white balance setting the raw dialog?

Kiril
Kiril Sinkel
Digital Light & Color
BKrivoruk

Post by BKrivoruk »

I start with Camera WB. Again, I tried all WB settings. Tried to play with the Color Temperature. Going back to my example with 5dII and XTI, I set exactly the same RAW settings for XTI and 5DII and results were much different.
ksinkel

Post by ksinkel »

There are no differences in how color correction is handled between the raw converters of PWP 6 and PWP 7. Perhaps the difference is due to differences between the cameras. The camera white balance option adjusts white balance according to the light quality reported by the camera. If the two cameras measure this quality differently the adjustments will be different. I would suggest making sure that your camera settings are vanilla -- i.e auto or program mode and not one of the creative settings.

If that does not resolve it, I would need to see sample raw images t comment any further. You can send them to support@dl-c.com using one of the file transfer services.

Kiril
Kiril Sinkel
Digital Light & Color
BKrivoruk

Post by BKrivoruk »

Kiril, I e-mailed sample RAW image with print screens form PWP 6 and 7.
Charles2
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Fuji X-Pro 2

Post by Charles2 »

You might narrow the problem by opening the "same" image from the two cameras with another raw developer, at the white balance that was in the camera. Not the program from Canon; it might have undocumented changes built in. If you need another program, you can try the donation-only program Raw Therapee. If you get the same problem, you know the problem is something like the camera settings that Kiril mentioned.
ksinkel

Post by ksinkel »

The problem is that the files in question use a compressed Canon raw format. The uncompressed format shows no problem. We are looking into the problem, though any solution will not make it into the coming update.

Kiril
Kiril Sinkel
Digital Light & Color
BKrivoruk

Post by BKrivoruk »

RAW files open fine. It is SRAW1 and SRAW2 which have this issue.
tomczak
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Fuji X-E2

Post by tomczak »

I was curious what Canon sRAW format was all about, as I've never heard of them, and found this description. It's quite detailed and technical and perhaps may be of help in addressing the problem:

http://lclevy.free.fr/cr2/#sraw
Maciej Tomczak
Phototramp.com