Crop Add Border widget and image orientation

Moderator: jsachs

tomczak
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Fuji X-E2

Crop Add Border widget and image orientation

Post by tomczak »

I thought I understand it, but apparently I don't: I seem to have perennial problems with cropping/adding boarders in workflows that involve vertical and horizontal images - if I train the workflow on horisontal image, the vertical becomes square, for instance. Could I be explain what exactly Crop Orientation/Crop Scaling/Border Scaling do to entered values.

Cheers!
Maciej Tomczak
Phototramp.com
ksinkel

Re: Crop Add Border widget and image orientation

Post by ksinkel »

Crop was one of the more difficult transformations to generalize -- that is to have it do something reasonable with images that were a different size from the training image. If you have a mixture of image sizes and/or orientations in your workflow, you can do one of three things:

1. You can select all the images that are the same. Train the crop transformation on the image and run the workflow against selected images. You would then repeat the operation against another batch of selected images of another dimension, etc.

2. You can set a breakpoint in the crop widget and customize each image as you see fit.

3. You can set to set Crop Orientation to 'align with image'. Crops and borders defined for a landscape image are rotated if the image is portrait and vice versa. Set crop and border dimensions to scale with the image. Note that for each image the adjustments are made relative to the training image settings, so the order of images in the workflow plays no role.

Each of these settings can be made independently and every combination is appropriate in some case or other. For example if you want all output images to be landscape regardless of the orientation of the input image, you would not want to use the 'align with image setting'. Ditto if you are adding borders and want the bottom border to be wider, for example.

Kiril
Kiril Sinkel
Digital Light & Color