Change only the dimensions in inches?

Moderator: jsachs

greglovern
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Pentax *ist D

Change only the dimensions in inches?

Post by greglovern »

Is it possible to change only the dimensions in inches, without changing anything else?

I'm scanning old drawings at high resolution, then making repairs and modifications, then resizing to various pixel sizes for various purposes. The smallest ones are for spot illustrations in Kindle eBooks. These smallest ones end up with very tiny dimensions in inches, so tiny I can hardly see which image it is when building the eBook in MS Word. Of course I could resize it in Word, but the Kindle publishing gurus advise against resizing the image in Word as this may anger the Kindle book generator gods and result in formatting problems with the Kindle book. The Kindle book generator ignores the dimensions in inches; the only dimensions that matter for the Kindle book are the dimensions in pixels.

So if I could just make the dimensions in inches larger, without changing anything else, I'd be able to see which image it is in Word without resizing. I don't see a way of doing that in the Resize transformation; changing the dimensions in inches also changes the dimensions in pixels.

Sorry if this is unclear, Kindle publishing can get pretty weird!

Thanks,

Greg
Dieter Mayr
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D700

Re: Change only the dimensions in inches?

Post by Dieter Mayr »

Hello Greg

A digital picture, no matter from what source it comes from (digital camera, scanner, painting software,...) has a size in pixels, x pixels in length, y pixels in hight, nothing more, nothing less.
The printing guys have a unit called dpi that describes how many pixels will be printed on one inch on paper.
So, if you have a piczure that is 1500 x 1500 pixel and print it with 150 dpi, it will get 10 x 10 inches in dimension.
If you print it with just 75 dpi, it will get 20 x 20 inches, if you print with 300 dpi, you result with 5 x 5 inches.

It looks like Word uses a stadard of 95 dpi (dont ask me why, a image of 950 pixels wide is shown as to be 10 inch in size).
It also seems that, if there is a dpi setting in the picure that is used for showing the original size.

So you can try to adjust just the dpi in PWP (Resize, just change the dpi value till you have the desired measure in inches).
Word should have that size as original size, so dispay the image as 100% should work then.
Dieter Mayr
greglovern
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Pentax *ist D

Re: Change only the dimensions in inches?

Post by greglovern »

Hi Dieter,

Thanks, I see now that I just need to change the dpi setting too when I change the pixel size.

Greg