Composite Transformation

Moderator: jsachs

Marpel
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D810

Composite Transformation

Post by Marpel »

A couple questions about the Composite Transform. I think I sorta know the answer but would like to confirm.

1. When a 16 bit TIFF is composited with a smaller size JPEG (or two TIFFs with different colour profiles, say Adobe RGB and ProPhoto), using a straight blend mode, I presume PWP converts the format/profile/bit depth of the overlay image to match the input image?? And, is this any different than the operator changing the overlay image to match the input image, prior to doing the composite? I routinely composite small parts of one image into another and they are often JPEGs and TIFFs and I wondered if I was getting the same quality result by simply ignoring the warning and finishing the composite rather than converting prior to compositing.

And, on a different subject, why does the paint and mask pen tool not have an option for a square brush? I often do masking/painting on images with square corners (i.e.architecture) and it gets to be quite tedious getting into the square corners with a round tool.

Thanks in advance,

Marv
jsachs

Re: Composite Transformation

Post by jsachs »

Composite does not automatically convert the overlay image to the color space of the base image which is why there is a warning.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color