Updating PWP

Moderator: jsachs

Marpel
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D810

Updating PWP

Post by Marpel »

Historically, and for numerous times, when I update PWP, I initially uninstall the old version then do a download of the replacement. This has always worked.

However, when I tried this same process recently, I received a dialogue box (titled Picture Window Pro 8) with:

The following applications should be closed before continuing the install "Alt_menu_acceleration_disabler".

As I have never encountered this before, I did not want to continue until I understood exactly what I was doing. As PWP was in the header, can I assume this is a PWP thing? Regardless, any advice on this issue? Windows 10 Home.

Thanks,

Marv
pierrelabreche
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon Z8

Re: Updating PWP

Post by pierrelabreche »

jsachs wrote: September 18th, 2023, 1:15 pm An update is available to Version 8.0.390 (18-Sep-2023)
Download Link: https://www.dl-c.com/Downloads.html

The changes (taken from the update log) are:

Fixed some problems with automatically restoring control to transformation dialog boxes after using Alt-Mouse Wheel or Alt-Drag to zoom or scroll the image.

There is a so-called feature of Windows that requires you press the Alt key a second time after an Alt-Zoom or Alt-Scroll to restore normal cursor tracking. The same problem with the Alt key affects many other Windows programs including Adobe Photoshop and Premiere. The problem is caused by a somewhat useless feature of Windows, namely if you press Alt and release it, the menu bar is enabled and if you then press a letter key, the corresponding menu item is executed. Fortunately, there is a way to disable this Windows behavior via a freeware program called AutoHotKey in combination with a script that remaps certain uses of the Alt key. Starting with this version, this fix is automatically installed in your Windows Startup folder as the file: Alt_menu_acceleration_disabler.exe. You will need to restart your computer to get it to load the first time it is installed. By default, the fix is enabled, but if for some reason you want to restore the way the Alt key worked before, you can toggle it on or off by pressing both Alt keys at the same time. For more information on this, see the following YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRld4bVFrpU.

Marpel

Post by Marpel »

Thanks Pierre
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

This is normal -- it is ok to temporarily suspend theprogram
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Marpel

Post by Marpel »

Thanks Jonathan,

Just had never experienced this before so was unsure.