Flash reflection

Moderator: jsachs

TryAgain
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: S45

Flash reflection

Post by TryAgain »

Is there a better approach?

I wanted to eliminate the flash reflection off her forehead but retain the texture.

I made a mask using the Color Range and painted out all but the shiny areas
in it.

With Color Correction - using a very small Radius - I clicked on several points
in the shiny area and dragged them to greater saturation while maintaining the
realtive positions of each point.

This didn't fully correct the problem so I repeated the Color Correction.
Attachments
80Bday 065.jpg
80Bday 065.jpg (33.74 KiB) Viewed 1915 times
80Bday 065-3.JPG
80Bday 065-3.JPG (35.5 KiB) Viewed 1916 times
den
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Canon EOS-350D/Fuji X100T

Re: Flash reflection

Post by den »

The best approach is one that is understood to obtain one's preferences and your result with a mask and ColorCorrect is very creditable.

The following are some alternatives that can be done depending upon one's tolerances for manipulation and preferences:

(1) One could use a highly transparent (90-95%) and highly soft-sided (90%) Paint brush with the Paint Tool in 'HSV-HS mode only'; Probe color from the near flash skin tones, and then multiple left click (stamping rather than painting) the flash image areas until a preference is obtained [this is essentially the same as the mask and ColorCorrect approach in which only the H and S channels are changed, leaving the texture available in channel V unchanged];

(2) Continue to modify overall skin tones using a skin pallette image and the Remap transform... for this image the bottom-left pallette sample was used as Remap's Remapped Color....
skinpallette.jpg
skinpallette.jpg (6.59 KiB) Viewed 1814 times
(3) While PWP5's RedEye removal in Misc tools is much improved over previous versions, I still have a tendency to prefer channel substition, RGB-->GGB, and 'one-to-one' clone the eye pupil's from the GGB image into the original RGB image.

(4) Eye whites and teeth can be de-saturated to preferences using Misc Tools.

(5) Skin-smoothing or texture retention can be achieved using PWP5's Bilateral Sharpening in the Sharpen transform. For this image, Bilateral Sharpening settings were: Amount=100; BlurRadius=5; BlurThreshold=20.0; SharpenFactor=0.75; and SharpenThresold=0.0. For smoother skin, reduce the SharpenFactor and for more texture; increase the SharpenFactor...

A possible result:...
80Bday_065-1_PaintHSV-HSonly_RemapSkinClr_Bilateral100-5-20-0_75-0.jpg
80Bday_065-1_PaintHSV-HSonly_RemapSkinClr_Bilateral100-5-20-0_75-0.jpg (43.9 KiB) Viewed 1816 times