A couple questions

Moderator: jsachs

doug
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D-500

A couple questions

Post by doug »

This post is inspired by MarkT's recent post in which he said, "I remembered how I thought I*'d be happy with ver 7 for the rest of my life, as it just seemed so complete, but now I can't imagine life without ver 8."

I log into this forum virtually every day to follow the progress of the development of version 8. However, I have not yet made the move and am still using version 7. So I guess it is past time for me to make the transition. I've been an enthusiastic PWP user since 2004 (version 3.5).

Question 1. If I install version 8, does version 7 remain intact on my computer? One reason for this concern is that I know from following these version 8 posts that at least one tool that I use somewhat frequently based on a long ago recommendation by den, may have changed its character and might not do the same thing that I can easily accomplish in version 7. So I may need to retain version 7 for some tasks.

Question 2. If I install version 8 but do not update for every improvement that Jonathan posts, when I later decide to catch up, is there a special function that only edits the existing installation to overlay the changes? Or is it a process just as if it is a first time install?

Doug
MarkT

Re: A couple questions

Post by MarkT »

Hi Doug,

In my experience...

1) yes, ver 7 stays intact as a standalone application.

2) as far as I know you can wait and download/install the latest version without requiring all of the intermediate versions. It just installs the same way as the first time. Remember you can download the .exe in a zip file if the changes don't include bitmaps (for new buttons), or download the complete .msi file.

I still have ver 7 installed, but honestly I find ver 8 faster to use, and with the ability to save whole edit trees just so much more powerful.

Hope this helps you in your decison-making.

Mark
jsachs

Re: A couple questions

Post by jsachs »

Yes, you can install versions 7 and 8 side by side.

Version 8 installers install the entire program, so you can jump on or off the train any time you want.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color