Bug fix release 31-Aug-2019

Please use this forum to post bug reports, feature requests, tips, etc. for beta versions of Picture Window Pro 8

Moderator: jsachs

jsachs

Bug fix release 31-Aug-2019

Post by jsachs »

I have posted a new release (31-Aug-2019).

The changes (taken from the update log) are:

Stack Images: Added an item to the Settings Menu called “Load a Set of Images…”. This clears out any current images and resets all the curves and amount controls and then lets you select one or more image files. If a file is already loaded, the loaded copy is used, otherwise each file is opened in a new top-level image. The opened files are then selected as inputs to Stack Images. This saves a lot of time opening and selecting each image one at a time. Also fixed a minor problem with Stack Images when dragging the dialog box from one monitor to another with different scale factors.

Stack Images: added Exposure Compensation slider for Filter and Subtractive Filter operations.

Blend: fixed problems with black and white input images.

Masks: fixed problem causing output image not to be generated when the dialog box opens.

Batch execution was crashing – disabling Visual C++ whole-program optimization seems to make the problem go away so this may be caused by a bug in the Microsoft compiler.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
rfuerman
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: sony rx100iii

Re: Bug fix release 31-Aug-2019

Post by rfuerman »

Hello, again. PW 31 Aug
Batch looking good! YAY! Thank you!
First batch with three files, I saw the 'File Open' dialog between each batch dialog, but I cannot reproduce this. I'll keep a watch for that.
Back to the weekend . . . Bob
MarkT

Post by MarkT »

Wow, thank you so much for the "Load a set of images" option in Stack Images. Works perfectly.

There is a strange black square that shows up in the display preview when Stack Images is first selected from the Transformation menu:
pwp8_stack_images_black_square.JPG
pwp8_stack_images_black_square.JPG (19.15 KiB) Viewed 3873 times
Of course it's replaced with the correct image once the set of images is loaded...
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

When there are no input images the output image is set to a small black Square.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
MarkT

Post by MarkT »

Okay, good to know.

This is a huge time-saver for me. I use the 20-60 frames per second option of the Nikon 1 V3 to record a scene at high ISO, and then use Stack Images and Median Blend to reduce the noise. Being able to load up 16 images in one step really helps.

Thank you.
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

I would expect Blend mode to reduce noise slightly better than Median, but I could be wrong. Have you tried both?
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
MarkT

Post by MarkT »

Yes I have tried both methods, and honestly can't see any difference between the results. Except where some detail has moved between images, so Median removes the ghost, where Blend can leave a faint ghost behind. The level of noise reduction seems equal.

Compared to NeatImage 8.4, which is my go-to noise reduction software, Stack Images achieves far superior results. NI is very, very good for most circumstances, but with a large series of images taken within a second, Stack Images is amazing.

NR results compared:
NR_comparison_small.JPG
NR_comparison_small.JPG (123.14 KiB) Viewed 3834 times
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

Thanks for posting those examples.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
rfuerman

Post by rfuerman »

Hello PW 31-Aug
10) File | open multiple working OK. Open WS batch script with File | Open multiple as first command, then [Cancel] file open -> opens an empty image headed <DSC123.jpg> on workspace with error message 'bad input image' on the transforms. Note that the file <DSC123.jpg> is stored in the WS script at 'image index 1' although I saved the WS w/o images:
"image index 1 caption ″DSC123.JPG″ saved_as ″″ saved_on ″″ parent -1 bypass -1 same_size 0 size_specific "
and the File | close commands are not available.
So if user does not select a file, where should the WS script leave you? Probably at work space with batch | file open dialog?? or could cancel the batch??
11) enhancement request, not urgent: the file | open multiple dialog to start the WS batch script. I don't want to see raw or video files on the open dialog, so it would be nice to remember that the file filter = *.jpg or *.tif or ??
12) enhancement request, not urgent: The batch | file open dialog - perhaps add a count of files in the batch?
13) Suggest add instructions to <batch processing.pdf> on where to find the add breakpoint command.
And user can save the batch to a WS script to reuse. First command = File | open multiple; last command = Transform | file export.
Thanks, Bob
rfuerman

Post by rfuerman »

one more:
14) Open WS batch script, select files, click [run all] -> batch saves two copies of the file, so I have <DSC0345.jpg> AND <DSC0345 v1.jpg> in destination folder. Check file properties & both files have same time stamp!
Bob