Clone-Tool Issue with Cloned Side Branch

Please use this forum to post bug reports, feature requests, tips, etc. for beta versions of Picture Window Pro 8

Moderator: jsachs

jfoster
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Canon/5DMIII

Clone-Tool Issue with Cloned Side Branch

Post by jfoster »

CloneToolOnClonedSideBranch1.jpg
CloneToolOnClonedSideBranch1.jpg (28.54 KiB) Viewed 3223 times
CloneToolOnClonedSideBranch2.jpg
CloneToolOnClonedSideBranch2.jpg (28.55 KiB) Viewed 3223 times
Just saw this problem where the cloned side-branch does not exhibit the same Clone-Tool results as the original. The images illustrate the problem.

Jeff
jsachs

Re: Clone-Tool Issue with Cloned Side Branch

Post by jsachs »

Sorry, the images are too small to read to text in the image browser. Can you post or email me a workspace file?

If you crop the images differently or do anything else to change the image size, clone will not produce the same result.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
jfoster

Post by jfoster »

CloneToolOnClonedSideBranch1a-1.jpg
CloneToolOnClonedSideBranch1a-1.jpg (28.83 KiB) Viewed 3219 times
CloneToolOnClonedSideBranch2a-1.jpg
CloneToolOnClonedSideBranch2a-1.jpg (29.1 KiB) Viewed 3219 times
These images hopefully are readable. The workspace file is attached in zip format. When I exited PWP 8 and restarted with the workspace file, only the erroneous cloning result appeared in both branches.
Attachments
cloneproblem.zip
(10.42 KiB) Downloaded 175 times
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

It looks like this can be caused by leaving a transformation located above the splitter open so its result is not yet propagated through the image tree. When you click OK on the open transformation, the differences disappear.

I'm still thinking about how to fix this, possibly by forcing a recalc of all the branches of the splitter after cloning the side branch and not just the new branch. Or possibly by forcing you to close all the transformations above the splitter.

Let me know if this is not the cause of the problem you are seeing and I will investigate further.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
jfoster

Post by jfoster »

CloneToolIssue.jpg
CloneToolIssue.jpg (12.14 KiB) Viewed 3202 times
Using the Clone Tool again and on occasion the tool flies off to the upper left on its own. See attached screenshot.

Jeff
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

Any idea how to reproduce this?
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
jfoster

Post by jfoster »

Not sure. I've seen it a few times though. The first time I thought it may have been an optical mouse glitch, but is seems to be PWP Clone Tool specific.
When I have seen it I was using a high transparency value, and was repeatedly cloning over an area with differing source locations.

On a maybe related note. My Speck Removal tool has stopped working completely. It worked once following the use of the clone tool, but now there's no tool appearing. I exited PWP and restarted it. I re-booted the PC. I even uninstalled PWP 8 and re-installed. Nada.
Missing Speck Removal Tool.jpg
Missing Speck Removal Tool.jpg (32.32 KiB) Viewed 3187 times
As shown in this screen-shot, the Tool window appears, but doesn't interact with the image.

Jeff
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

For the speck removal tool, try three things:

1) Click on the title bar of the Speck Removal dialog box to activate it.

2) Unlike Paint and Smudge, you have to Shift-Click on the image to create a new point. Unshifted click is used to select existing specks so you can reposition them.

3) Unlike Clone, you click on the input image and not the output image.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
jfoster

Post by jfoster »

Shift-clicking seems to work. Thx. Might be imagining it, but it seemed to work without that at some point.

Another bit of feedback. On PWP 7 the Speck Removal tool was my go-to for reducing face wrinkles in portraits (selecting a path along the wrinkle, using Lighten Only option, and clear skin each side of the wrinkle). Is there a way to have the PWP 8 Speck Removal tool work on a stroked region like a face wrinkle?

Jeff
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

Try the scratch removal tool instead.

I'm not really that happy with the way either of these tools works right now, but improvements will probably have to wait for the next major release.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color