Trouble scanning with PWP on new PC

Moderator: jsachs

MarkT

Trouble scanning with PWP on new PC

Post by MarkT »

Hi, I hope someone can shed some light on this problem. I have a new PC (Win 8.1 Update 64-bit; Core i7-4770; 8GB RAM) and after installing new downloads of all software and drivers, PWP 7-32 fails completely during an attempt to scan. I select the scanner (Epson Perfection V500) and then proceed to acquire images. Epson Scan 3.7.7.3 (EN) launches, and I can complete a preview scan and make adjustments, but when the Scan button is clicked, everything freezes. It takes a trip to Task Manager to shut PWP and Epson Scan down.

The software and scanner are the same as on my previous PC where everything worked fine. On the new PC, running Epson Scan as standalone works, as does using Faststone Image Viewer and acquiring images.

I've re-installed PWP and Epson Scan, tried altering the Support settings, trying different USB ports.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. Mark
ksinkel

Re: Trouble scanning with PWP on new PC

Post by ksinkel »

Mark,

There are many posts of the scan function failing under Windows 8.1. Solutions seem to be scattered all over the place, so it is not clear if this is a solved problem. If anyone has found a solution, please post.

Kiril
Kiril Sinkel
Digital Light & Color
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

As Kiril notes, this problem is related to 8.1 which apparently changed something about the way TWAIN works. As a workaround you can simply run the Epson Scan stand-alone application, save your scanned images as files, and then open them with PWP.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
MarkT

Post by MarkT »

Okay, thanks Kiril and Jonathan. Yes, I can use Epson Scan as a standalone, but it's weird that I can call it from within other software (Faststone) without any issue. Do you anticipate any updates to TWAIN that might resolve this issue with PWP?

Cheerio

Mark
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

Nothing soon.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
MarkT

Post by MarkT »

Okay, thanks for the information Jonathan (and Kiril), I really appreciate the prompt replies.