Please allow periods in saved file names

Moderator: jsachs

BobP45

Please allow periods in saved file names

Post by BobP45 »

When working with images from my phone, I can open them with names like "2016-12-13 11.30.47.jpg" into Picture Window Pro v 8.0.56. But when I try to save a modified image as "2016-12-13 11.30.47 v1.jpg", which is what Picture Window itself generates for the new file name, it complains "Error - JPEG files must have a .jpg or .jpeg extension". Well in this case it DOES have a .jpg extension, so I don't understand the problem. Earlier, and this has been just about my only complaint with Picture Window over the years, was that if I saved an image as "2016-12-13 11.30.47 v1" (with no extension, but with "Save as type: JPEG (*.jpg)" indicated), it would complain and I'd manually add the ".jpg" as shown above and the file would then be saved.

But I just don't understand this problem generally. Why can't Picture WIndow simply add a ".jpg" (or whatever file type is selected) to the end of the file name, if there isn't one and no matter if there are other periods in the file name or not?? It seems to be an unnecessary restriction. And when I change the periods to dashes and save the file, it is now completely out of sorting order with the original and difficult to find in a large folder.

Could this please be fixed? Thanks very much.
BobP
Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, 16 GB RAM
jsachs

Re: Please allow periods in saved file names

Post by jsachs »

This did work at one point, but to fix other problems I have been tinkering with some of the internal routines that handle file extensions.

The problem arises because PWP is trying to avoid filename abominations such as file.bmp.tif.

I believe I have fixed the problem you reported in the next release -- hopefully I did not break anything else in the process.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
BobP45

Post by BobP45 »

Thanks, Jonathan - sorry if I'm trying this while you're still working on it. My 8.0.56 told me there's a new version 8.0.58, but the website has 8.0.57 as the latest at this very moment, and the update log only goes up to 8.0.56. I downloaded and installed 8.0.57 and check for update still tells me there's an 8.0.58 available.

Anyway, 8.0.57 still gives the error message with saving a file like "2016-12-13 11.30.47.jpg" saying files must have a .jpg extension. But now in spite of that, after hitting OK to the error, the metadata gets copied and the file is saved correctly.

- Bob
BobP
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

Sorry, was dealing with a software meltdown here for the last couple of days -- should be OK now.

8.0.57 is the latest.

Generally you can leave off the .jpg when saving as it is added automatically based on the file type you selected. When you include periods in the filename, however, this looks to PWP like you are adding some other, possibly incorrect, extension. In the case of the filename 2016-12-13 11.30.47, the extension is .47 so it is warning you that is not a valid extension.

You should only get a warning if you leave off the .jpg and provide some other extension, should be fixed in next release (8.0.58) which I am uploading now.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
BobP45

Post by BobP45 »

Thanks, now works fine in 8.0.58
BobP