Digital Certificate

Moderator: jsachs

jimbhicks

Re: Digital Certificate

Post by jimbhicks »

No. Version 8.0.27 still not working. Same as before.
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

I did fix the issue about clicking on Show information about the publisher's certificate. I think I have done more or less everything I can at this point.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
jimbhicks

Post by jimbhicks »

I am running Windows 10 and using Windows Defender as my malware protection. It would be interesting to hear from others about their experience with this. Does it work properly or improperly using other malware protection programs? Has anybody seen proper installation using Windows Defender?

Maybe the paucity of comments is because, even though the installation does not proceed exactly as it should, it still succeeds!!
Winfried
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Pentax K1

Post by Winfried »

No problems with my System. I use Windows Defender too. No other virus-checker.
I use just "local" accounts. No accounts in the "Windows Cloud".
One account with admin rights and one without, which I normally use for everydays work.
I download the setup-file (*.msi) to NAS-storage, where I keep most of the software I run on my system.
From this NAS-storage I install with my non-admin account and I am naturally asked for the admin password during the installation process.
No warnings regarding a missing or wrong cetificate.
The file explorer shows the certificate in the *.msi-file and the PWP 8.0.exe
Everything is fine as far I can judge it.
Certificate.jpg
Certificate.jpg (51.09 KiB) Viewed 4285 times
Winfried
-----
migrated to Windows 10 in Nov. 2019
PWP Pro 64
CUDA not available
jimbhicks

Post by jimbhicks »

jsachs and winfried,

SUCCESS!!

Winfried's comment made me suspect that something was not right with my system.

I opened Internet Explorer and highlighted the PWP .msi file. Then under Application Tools I ran Troubleshoot Compatibility. The troubleshooting procedure ran and then said to test to see whether the procedure had been successful. I uninstalled version 8.0.27 and then did a reinstall. The reinstall ran cleanly without any warning screens from Windows Defender. As a check I uninstalled PWP again and did another installation which also ran without a hitch.
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

I think it's more complicated...

For me, whether or not you get the warning seems to depend on where the msi file is located (Downloads folder or not), and also on whether you have installed that specific file before or not.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
jimbhicks

Post by jimbhicks »

I do have the msi file in my downloads folder and I am running as administrator. That is the only account I run since I am the only user.

One thing I tried since my last post is that I uninstalled 8.0.27 and installed 8.0.26, also located in my downloads folder. I did this because I was concerned that the fix that I did only applied to the 8.0.27 msi file. The 8.0.26 install also worked without the Windows Defender warnings. I then reinstalled 8.0.27 which also was successful.

Edit: jsachs, I read your post above more carefully and I should clarify regarding the msi being previously used. I had previously installed 8.0.26 but, when I did, I was getting the Defender warnings. Now I'm not.
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

FYI, There are two other two settings that trigger the warning:

1) User Account Control (Control Panel/Users/Change User Account Control Settings)

2) Smart Screen (Settings/Windows Security/App & Browser Control)
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
jimbhicks

Post by jimbhicks »

jsachs,

Thanks. I checked these and I seem OK. I have the App & Browser Control Smart Screen settings all set to Warn.
croos

Post by croos »

FWIW I didn't get any of that. Also Win10.