Crop - Reset not working?

Please use this forum to post bug reports, feature requests, tips, etc. for beta versions of Picture Window Pro 8

Moderator: jsachs

MarkT

Crop - Reset not working?

Post by MarkT »

Hi,

Beta 21-21-Sep-2019, just noticed that "Reset" no longer works in Crop. I open the Crop transformation, select "Settings - Reset" and nothing happens.

Other than that, pretty happy overall with the way the Beta version is progressing. Still really happy with the "Stack Images - Load a set of images" option, only it seems to really drag on subsequent operations. Once you apply the transformation, all other transformations take a bit longer to execute. No big deal, just thought I'd mention it.

Thank you for all the support.
MarkT

Re: Crop - Reset not working?

Post by MarkT »

[Update] I see know that I may have been confused about the use of Reset in the Crop transformation...

Reset returns the settings to my saved default position. I had thought that I could use Reset to change my initial default position to the "factory default"...

So please disregard my earlier question.
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

Yes, to get factory defaults you need to use Clear Default Settings instead of Reset.

Stack Images should not slow down anything that depends on it. If you load a lot of big images however, you could be running lo on RAM however and causing swapping to occur.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
MarkT

Post by MarkT »

I suspected that it was my system that was letting me down. Perhaps you could comment on how my systems specs rate, and how I could improve things?

Win 10 Home, i7-4700, 8GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce GT 710, 192 CUDA cores, 1024MB dedicated video memory, 5088MB total memory available

I loaded 16 18.25MP images (3488x5232) into Stack Images, then ran Crop, Levels & Color, and a few other transformations and noticed the slow performance.

Would more RAM alone make any difference? I appreciate any comments or suggestions.
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

Even 50 18.25MB images make up less than 1GB, so you should have plenty of RAM -- I'm not really sure what is happening. You might try running Task Manager to see what else is running and how much memory and CPU time other apps are using. I'm not really an expert on these things, but my guess is that somehow it is memory-related. I suppose it is possible that updating the image browser could also be taking longer, so try turning it off just as an experiment.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
MarkT

Post by MarkT »

Thank you Jonathan, turning the Image Browser off seems to improve things significantly. There is still a slight delay when opening a transformation after running Stack Images, but then applying is almost instantaneous.

Also, these are 18.25 MegaPixel images, and only 6.6 MB in JPEG. Once they have been stacked, the resulting 48-bit output image is 109.5 MB.

After running Stack Images without the Image Browser, Task Manager shows PWP using 1221.5 MB of Memory. Turning on the Image Browser, the Memory changes to 1221.6 MB. When I run Stack Images, the Memory allocation does not change, but the CPU usage hits 40%. It's all Greek to me...
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

Running Stack Images involves reading and processing almost 1GB of image data, so I would expect the CPU usage to go up.

16 55MB images accounts for about 900 MB and then you have additional copies for the subsequent operations, masks, etc. plus the overhead for the PWP app itself so 1200 MB sounds about right.

You can get a big performance increase in the Image Browser, if you haven't done so already, by turning off Color Manage Thumbnails in File/Color Management.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
MarkT

Post by MarkT »

Excellent suggestions, the delays I initially observed are completely gone, or at least so minimal as to not be noticed...

Thank you for taking the time to reply.