Bug fix release 1-Aug-2019

Please use this forum to post bug reports, feature requests, tips, etc. for beta versions of Picture Window Pro 8

Moderator: jsachs

jsachs

Bug fix release 1-Aug-2019

Post by jsachs »

I have posted a new release (1-Aug-2019).

This release involved making major changes to every transformation and dialog box in PWP. I have tried to test all of them in at least a cursory manner, but I have probably introduced problems, most likely related to the size of dialog boxes or the positioning of their controls. This is an interim release (see Main Display below) as there is still a lot of work left to do before dual monitors with different scale factors are fully supported.

The changes (taken from the update log) are:

Added an “Autosave on OK” setting to File/Preferences – if enabled, it saves the current workspace under the name “autosave.workspace” every time you click OK or Apply in a transformation dialog box. This lets you recover your work up to the last completed transformation in the event of a crash.

Color Balance: fixed problem causing initial auto white balance not to be computed when transformation starts up.

Image browser: clicking on the bypass button no longer does a zoom to fit. If the input and output images are the same size, this now lets you quickly switch back and forth between them while zoomed in or out.

Layout: fixed problem in Border tab of input image control not being hidden and showing up under the Border Color control.

When loading or saving workspace scripts, the default is now always to ask for a pathname.

Crop: fixed crash when selecting None as a custom composition guide.

Clone: fixed problems with switching between input, output and split screen being out of sync with clicking on the main image or input image thumbnails.

Main Display: I discovered, much to my embarrassment, that I never enabled DPI awareness for Picture Window. On high resolution monitors, images were being scaled by Windows according to the scale factor in the Display control panel and thus blurred if the scale factor was greater than 100%. Having now fixed this, images are much sharper on high dpi monitors and images displayed at a zoom factor of 1:1 are consequently smaller. I am still working through some remaining window scaling issues that show up if you have two monitors with different scale factors, and you drag dialog boxes from one to the other. Currently, this only works for the main window, the image browser, mask and color picker windows – for other dialog boxes, the size of the text and controls may change when you drag them between monitors.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Winfried
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Pentax K1

Re: Bug fix release 1-Aug-2019

Post by Winfried »

I tried to install the new version, but I got an error.
Maybe it is a result of my "old" Win 7 system?
Maybe it can be solved by deleting some of the files from the documents? Settings.Preferences?
Maybe I need a newer USER32.dll ?
Error-msg.jpg
Error-msg.jpg (20.38 KiB) Viewed 3203 times
I installed as a backup the version from 2019-07-20. Sp I am able to work :-)

P.S.: I just found out that the call "SetThreadDPIAwarenessContext"
probably needs Windows 10.
See: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... esscontext
Winfried
-----
migrated to Windows 10 in Nov. 2019
PWP Pro 64
CUDA not available
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

It turns out you need Windows 10 version 1703 or later to get the full benefit of the new high DPI monitor features. I am adding code to avoid calling SetThreadDpiAwarenessContext if it is not present and will upload a new version shortly. This should eliminate the error message.

On older versions of Windows, some things may not work as well. For example, the dialog box may resize when dragging between monitors but the caption bar may not.

If you have only one monitor or if you have two monitors with the same scale factor, you should be OK.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Winfried
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Pentax K1

Post by Winfried »

Please don't invest too much effort in the support of Win 7. Win 7 will be dead (14th Jan 2020).
I know I have to update Win 10. So I have to hurry up with this update.
I guess there will be other software, that will drop Win 7 support next year.
I use just one monitor (2560 x 2440) and I am quite happy with the sharpness.
Winfried
-----
migrated to Windows 10 in Nov. 2019
PWP Pro 64
CUDA not available
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

It's not just Windows 7 -- similar issues affect everything up to Windows 10 version 1703, so I need to address this problem in any case. Even if I fix SetThreadDpiAwarenessContext, there are a number of other Windows interfaces I now use that are specific to various versions of Windows. In the short run, it may be easier to create two different versions, but I need to investigate further.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

By the way, if and when you upgrade from Windows 7 to 10, I recommend using one of the third party Start Menu replacements (I use Start10).
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Charles2
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Fuji X-Pro 2

Post by Charles2 »

jsachs wrote: August 1st, 2019, 9:50 pm By the way, if and when you upgrade from Windows 7 to 10, I recommend using one of the third party Start Menu replacements (I use Start10).
I use Classic Start Menu, and with it I second the advice to use something calmer and more systematic than the default Windows 10 user interface.