Help issue PWP 7.0.12 64bit on Win 8.1

Moderator: jsachs

mark_hay

Help issue PWP 7.0.12 64bit on Win 8.1

Post by mark_hay »

Hi Kiril
Having moved to a new PC, I was looking at latest PWP Help and hit some issues - could you please help me?
Thanks, Mark

1. Help - Open Electronic Manual
Click on White Papers button.
Arrive at Page 11 of 591 - White Papers
Clicking on links to White Papers e.g. Astrophotography links back and shows the White Papers index page again.
- Is there some configuration I need to do, or is it a bug?
- I did download and install the documentation MSI.

2. Help - Contents
Go to Picture Window Basics
Click on Color Spaces
Text is shown but images are missing - replaced by small icons e.g. ebd_Ebd95.jpg
- sorry I cannot attach a screenshot.
- I had not noticed previously - but may not have looked at this help area previously.
Dieter Mayr
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D700

Re: Help issue PWP 7.0.12 64bit on Win 8.1

Post by Dieter Mayr »

Mark, I run PWP7.0.12 - 64 under Win 7 here.

I can reproduce your poinnt 2 with the help file.
I have sent a screenshot to Kiril per mail with reference to this post.

The pdf manual works fine for me.
Can you check where the file are copied to from the installer ?
On my Win 7 system all the help files are stored at:
C:\Users\*YourUsername*\AppData\Roaming\Digital Light and Color\Picture Window\docs
It's important that the white page files are in the same folder as pwp70.pdf, the main manual file.
Dieter Mayr
mark_hay

Post by mark_hay »

Hi Dieter
Thanks for your help.

I have found on Win 8.1 that the PDFs are in:
C User\ Mark\ AppData\ Roaming\ Digital Light and Color\ Picture Window\ Docs\

If I double click PW70.pdf I can scroll to page 1 and click the White Papers button.
This takes me to Page 11.
I can then click say on the Astrophotography link which takes me to Page 12 - not to the White Paper.

(This behaviour is the same as if in PWP I click on Help - Open Electronic Manual - arrive at PW70.pdf.)

I have tried repairing, removing and re-installing the documentation package from http://dl-c.com/content/view/23/54/ (link was revised Aug 2013)

Both issues remain for me.
thanks, Mark.
Dieter Mayr

Post by Dieter Mayr »

Mark,

Your files seems to be in the correct folder.
What program do you use to view your pdf files ?
I use Acrobat Reader 9.5.5 here, and the links to the white papers works as they should.
I have removed the Astro.pdf temporarily and if I click on the link of the removed file then it just does noting, stays on the same page.
I suppose it is a problem with your pdf reader, not with the pdf itself.
Dieter Mayr
Dieter Mayr

Post by Dieter Mayr »

Mark, I just had access to a computer with Win8.1 and I can confirm the problems you have with the pdf manual.
The Reader App (form Microsoft, probably ?) for pdf files that comes with Win 8.1 goes to the next page instead of opening the correct pdf.
I have no idea if anything can be done by the authors of the pdf file, since it works with the Adobe Acrobat Reader and meets the standard for pdf files (defined by Adobe).
So my suggestion would be to install the free Adobe Acrobat reader (Can't believe it, I suggest a Adobe product in the dl-c forum .. ;) ).

If i may suggest a point in your thread:
Would it be possible to make the links to the whote papers such that the white paper opens in a new instance of Acrobat reader ?
As it is now the manual gets closed when one opens a link to the white paper, with no way back to the original manual.
I have found a article in a german forum that this can be done with Acrobat Pro.
Dieter Mayr
mark_hay

Post by mark_hay »

Hi Dieter
thanks for checking on another Win 8.1 PC - I did in fact just now download Adobe Reader (as I began to realise the supplied "Reader" had no help or info to describe where it came from, or what version it was.)

Using Adobe Reader X1 v 11.0.06 made the link in White Papers to the Astro example work!

I still get the other problem - Help text is displayed, but images are not.
Probably not Adobe related.
To reproduce here are the steps:
-in PWP - click on Help - Contents - Open "Picture Window Help" folder in left hand pane
- Open "Picture Window Basics" sub folder
- click on item "Color Spaces".
Help text is displayed, but images are not.

thanks, Mark
ksinkel

Post by ksinkel »

There was apparently an issue in linking images in the last build of help. We will correct it in the next update.

Please note that you can also get information on operations from the PWP User Manual and, for many topics, from the white papers. If you do not have these installed, you can download the documentation from here: http://dl-c.com/content/view/23/54/

Kiril
Kiril Sinkel
Digital Light & Color