Cannot load a folder to the browser from a CD/DVD

Moderator: jsachs

davidh

Cannot load a folder to the browser from a CD/DVD

Post by davidh »

It is a strange thing but I cannot load a folder directly from a CD or DVD into the browser of PWP 7.0.11. 64bit on Win Pro 7.0 64. I can open an individual image from a CD/DVD but not a folder with images. After clicking the Select button in the dialog "Select Folder to Browse", nothing happens. If I select the root folder on the CD/DVD, the Browser path changes to C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Burn\Burn. The same happens with the latest version PWP 7.0.12.

This has to do something with the system because this does not not happen on another PC with PWP Pro 7.0.11 32bit version on Windows XP.
Restarting PC does not help.
Any ideas? Thanks.

David
jsachs

Re: Cannot load a folder to the browser from a CD/DVD

Post by jsachs »

Offhand it looks like the disk is a writable CD or DVD and Windows is preparing for burning files onto the disk. I don't know why it should matter if you are looking at the root directory or a sub-folder though.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
ksinkel

Post by ksinkel »

David,

It appears that Windows is redirecting to the burn folder which holds temporary copies of files that are to be burned onto the CD. My guess is that these files will be displayed in the File Explorer when the path is set to the CD. If so, deleting them should fix the problem. (Googling 'User\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Burn\Burn' turned up many problems with this folder.)

In general, I have found the Windows feature of burning CDs very slow (perhaps because of a rights management check of each file?) and the user interface confusing because of the way it combines browsing the CD and burning it into one display. So I use third party software to burn my CDs.

Kiril
Kiril Sinkel
Digital Light & Color
davidh

Post by davidh »

After some delay....
I use a third party burning tool as well so there was no Temporary folder with files to be burned, however after some recommended googling, I have found the following simple workable solution:

Start - Run - type gpedit.msc
Go to User Configuration - Administrative Templates - All Settings.
Look for "Remove CD Burning Features" and double click on it.
Choose ENABLED and apply.
You may need to reboot the computer for settings to take place.

It was posted by davehc here in the section Related Tutorials:
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/65 ... ssage.html

One interesting thing.
After applying those steps, an attempt to load the root folder of one DVD generates the error message:
~test_xqqx_test~.tmp
File or folder is corrupt and cannot be read.

However, this is no complication since all the subfolders are accessible without any problem. Perhaps some burning error or whatever.

David