New Disk Behaviour

Moderator: jsachs

jsachs

Re: New Disk Behaviour

Post by jsachs »

The way accumulate works in mask painting is as follows:

1) In accumulate mode, the mask get heavier as you paint over the same area multiple times. This mode is new and was added by user request.

2) In don't accumulate mode, the density of the mask is limited to the density of the brush, no matter how many times you paint over the same area. This old mode was restored as an option also by user request.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
alain
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: A850

Post by alain »

Hi

I'm getting very fond of the way capture one does it :

As long as the left mouse button is pressed there's no accumulation. Each time the left mouse button is released and pressed again there one level of accumulation.

This way it's easier to get very smooth transitions that are still rather small.

Alain
alain

Post by alain »

jsachs wrote:The way accumulate works in mask painting is as follows:

1) In accumulate mode, the mask get heavier as you paint over the same area multiple times. This mode is new and was added by user request.

2) In don't accumulate mode, the density of the mask is limited to the density of the brush, no matter how many times you paint over the same area. This old mode was restored as an option also by user request.
Thinking more about this (and my previous post) and my "problems" with the accumulate mode accumulating to fast and thus making it very difficult to get a very smooth transition, I think a combination could be useful:

When painting it's using option 2), but with an added option to add a "breakpoint" and make the previous work accumulate with the work after the "breakpoint". Capture one does this when you release the mouse button but sometimes that's unwanted. The closest thing now is using don't accumulate and then higher the density, but that's tricky on the sides.

Idea of working : Use a low density (high transparanty) a) make a rough mask b) click to say accumulate only with before b) c) paint again with a low density, but on the locations that where painted by a) those densties are accumulated.

thanks for considering something like this,

Alain
alain

Post by alain »

alain wrote:
jsachs wrote:The way accumulate works in mask painting is as follows:

Thinking more about this (and my previous post) and my "problems" with the accumulate mode accumulating to fast and thus making it very difficult to get a very smooth transition, I think a combination could be useful:

When painting it's using option 2), but with an added option to add a "breakpoint" and make the previous work accumulate with the work after the "breakpoint". Capture one does this when you release the mouse button but sometimes that's unwanted. The closest thing now is using don't accumulate and then higher the density, but that's tricky on the sides.

Idea of working : Use a low density (high transparanty) a) make a rough mask b) click to say accumulate only with before b) c) paint again with a low density, but on the locations that where painted by a) those densties are accumulated.

thanks for considering something like this,

Alain
Maybe something to consider after all, just did quite some masking ;-)

It would make live easier.