save Posterize palette

Moderator: jsachs

davidh

save Posterize palette

Post by davidh »

I hesitated whether to post this on the PWP 7 Beta Forum because if there is going to be a new or extended "nice to have" feature, it will be in PWP 7.x. but since it is for tuning PWP 7 beta not for collecting wishes, I have posted it here.
Well, it would be nice to have the option in the Posterize transformation to save palette settings for future reuse - something like save in Remap transformation. To set all the colors to create something sensible can be quite a delicate pursuit and to keep the result settings only as long as the PWP is running is sometimes frustrating.
Also the reset of individual remap rectangles would be very useful, perhaps from the right click mouse menu, or by double click or whatever.

David
den
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Canon EOS-350D/Fuji X100T

Re: save Posterize palette

Post by den »

As you point out, the Posterize and PWP6 or earlier Remap transforms do not have "save or load" OPTions but..

...a rather manual work around is to:
(1) take a screen shot of PWP's work space with either the Posterize or Remap transform visible with the desired color patches or squares;
(2) the screen shot could be cropped to just the transform dialog and then saved as a 24-bit tiff image; and
(3) at the next PWP session, open the saved screen shot image and open either the Posterize or Remap transform. Then Probe from the screen shot image to set colors and then change the Input image from the screenshot to the image to be transformed.

For Posterize, the Color Picker dialog Probe may be needed to use to set the colors and depending on the number could be rather tedious.

Do you need more detail then the above general description?

A PWP6 Remap example using preset color squares for Vibrance adjustments is here: http://www.dl-c.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=596

...den...
Dieter Mayr
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D700

Post by Dieter Mayr »

David, Den,

Just be careful when you use screenshots a full colormanaged workflow with a calibrated and profiled monitor.
The result of the patches in a screenshot may be off in their values on original screen.
I have created patches with the following RGB- values and in brackets the values measured in the screenshot.
The patches were created in the actual working color space by creating a new image and filling it with paint tool:
My monitor is calibrated to D65

Working color Space Chrome200 D65
127/0/0 (149/0/0)
0/127/0 (0/133/0)
0/0/127 (0/0/129)

Working color space sRGB
127/0/0 (119/0/0)
0/127/0 (42/127/29)
0/0/127 (23/0/125)

So, for absolute critical work it may be wise to note the actual RBG values from the color selector.
Dieter Mayr
den
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Canon EOS-350D/Fuji X100T

Post by den »

Dieter...

A very good point, thank you!

...den...
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

I have added a Reset/Load/Save As... Opt menu to Posterize.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
davidh

Post by davidh »

Den, Dieter, thanks for your ideas and recommendations.
I sometimes do make use of my own saved color palettes as described, but this is lengthy when you do a lot of experimenting, especially if you want to tune individual colors in them later. Also, their readings often do not correspond to their original readout values for the described reasons.
Sometimes it really is a critical work, since a few mm shove up or down of the slider of the brightness bar of one color and/or a very small change in the hue or saturation on the color hexagon point of another can make very big difference, especially when more colors - therefore hues, saturations and brightnesses - are used and interact. Then it may be very difficult if not impossible to "undo" the wrong steps by heart. Of course, you can always write down the individual readouts after each step, but then you inevitably get the idea to post a topic like this :).

David
davidh

Post by davidh »

Thank you very much Jonathan,

you did it faster then I had composed my reply to Den and Dieter.

David