Switch to Mac

Moderator: jsachs

kkopchynski
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Canon 40D

Re: Switch to Mac

Post by kkopchynski »

Yes, I played with this some more after my post. It looks that you can copy the files into the location( I did have it after all), but the WINE file browser does not see them, and neither presumably does the Wine-based PWP.

I then began to wonder if color management was coming through from the Mac OS. I loaded a picture that is sensitive to poor color profiling as my OS X desktop background and then loaded in in PWP. I did not see obvious differences. I do digital projection in 2 camera groups and I have learned to be observant for these issues. However, I would be interested in a more rigorous test if anyone knows of one.

best regards,
Kevin
Dieter Mayr
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D700

Post by Dieter Mayr »

Kevin, Isaac,

The best way i have found so far to test if a picture is displayed with correct color management is the following picture:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dietersbg6 ... hotostream
It has a profile embedded that maps "false" colors, so if a program does not dispay with correct CM, yellow (Gelb)is displayed Magenta, red (Rot) is displayed blue, Magenta (Purpur) is displayed cyan, blue (Blau) is displayed green, Cyan is displayed yellow and green (Grün) is displayed red.
With correct colormanagement the colors are displayed correctly.

Hope it helps
Dieter Mayr
IChavel
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: unknown

Post by IChavel »

Well, I am making some progress.

On my PC, one entered the paper profile in the final dialog box before printing. Now, on my iMac, the final dialog offers no such opportunity. I am not certain yet about placing, say, a 6x9 photo on an 8.5x11 paper (I may have to create a border --- which I did not in the PC version), BUT I can use the profile button right before printing to bring up the paper profile --- I assume it imbeds the profile. Will have to test it.

Similarly, I can get the working space profile in the color management dialog box. BUT I cannot get the Monitor profile, the dialog box does not recognize it. It recognizes other the monitor profiles supplied with PWPRO 6 for the Mac, but it does not recognize the one generated by my Spyder3 calibration. BTW, what is the default for the Mac --- is there one?
SBishop
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D5100

Post by SBishop »

Dieter,
Thank you for posting about the picture displaying correct colors if one's color profile is working and correct. That has answered for me a long time perplexing question I have had on whether or not my color management setup was correct.

Regards, Stephen Bishop
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

If the printer profile option is not displayed in the Print dialog box it means than color management is not available - probably because it is disabled (see File/Color Management dialog) or possibly because the image is black and white.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
IChavel

Post by IChavel »

Jonathan,

Just tried it with a color file and color management enabled. Didn't work.
What might work is to change the profile as your last step before printing.
Will see if the print will reflect the change of profile.

Isaac
kkopchynski
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Canon 40D

Post by kkopchynski »

Hello,

I am revisiting this as I have found that there are times when I would like to use my (Mac) laptop to process pictures when I am away from my desktop.
I can confirm that in the Wine version, with color management enabled, PWP does not see any color profiles that I place manually in the Windows/System32/Spool/Drivers/Color that is inside of the contents folder of the PWP Wine app. It does not work with either color engine choice.

I exported an image I did preliminary work in Lightroom, and PWP/Wine did not "see" the color/brightness-related changes, although it did see the cropping. I then opened the same raw right in PWP, worked it up, and when I looked at it in Lightroom the versions matched.
Subsequently, I have used Dieter's test image - thanks very much Dieter - and indeed in the wine app the colors are all wrong.

In a previous post Isaac wrote "I found the monitor/working space profiles that are downloaded with PWPro, placed them in the correct Windows folders, and the program now recognizes them. But none of the other monitor profiles."
Isaac, could you confirm what these locations are exactly? Apparently I do not have the right ones.
Also, in researching a related issue, I found some posts indicating that PWP filters out monitor profiles and does not offer them as choices. I apologize that I no longer have that link.

In the past (and still) I rely on Parallels for my Windows-on-a-mac work and I suspect I need to do some learning about Wine. If anyone has good tutorial links to share I would be most grateful.

Thank you,
Kevin
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

Profiles are filtered as necessary depending on the context - for example printer profiles cannot be used as monitor profiles or scanner profiles, etc.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
IChavel

Post by IChavel »

I apologize for such a late reply. Life has been (good) hectic, so I have only recently returned to these matters.

"In a previous post Isaac wrote "I found the monitor/working space profiles that are downloaded with PWPro, placed them in the correct Windows folders, and the program now recognizes them. But none of the other monitor profiles."
Isaac, could you confirm what these locations are exactly? Apparently I do not have the right ones."

Well, truth be told, I plunked them down in 5 additional places (beyond the usual \system32\spool\...), all in \Macintosh HD:

(1) \users\ichavel\Library\ColorSync\Profiles (this is the folder/directory that profiles sit in naturally, for example, when I calibrate using SpyderPro 3)

(2) \System\Library\ColorSync\Profiles

(3) \Library\ColorSync\Profiles

(4) \Library\ColorSync\Profiles\Displays

(5) \Users\ichavel\Library\Application Support\Wine\prefixes\My Wine App\drive_c\Program Files\dlc\pw6\Profiles

Are there any other places to plunk 'em down? Still cannot raise a monitor profile in PWPro.

I now use Lightroom 4 for general stuff, especially printing. They have some capacity for soft-proofing as well. The first place (1) works for printing from there.

I am using PWPro less and less, only for specific tasks not done easily, well, or at all, in Lightroom. Despite the fact that I have 21.5 inch monitor, the window to work in PWPro is much smaller, and it obviates any advantages. I wish it were otherwise.

I thought I might be able to work around these issues by downloading just Windows PWPro without the Wine shell, and use Parallels, as I use it for Quicken and some other Windows based programs. But the Mac identified it immediately as a Wine App. No go. Any other suggestions?

Isaac
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

PWP uses a Windows API called GetColorDirectory to query Windows as to where profiles are stored. I have created a small program that does this and then displays the pathname of the folder this API returns. Please email me your contact information and I can email you the program. You just unzip it, run the .exe file and it should display the location of the profile folder in which monitor and printer profiles should be placed for PWP to see them.

Jonathan Sachs
jsachs@dl-c.com
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color