Just being nitpicky

Moderator: jsachs

Marpel
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D810

Just being nitpicky

Post by Marpel »

Latest Version (although has been occurring in previous generations)

Composite -

1. If Overlay image (and mask) is not same size as Input, the Overlay image (in side by side view) starts out zoomed in and entire image cannot be seen, until one clicks on Composite thumbnail. This has no impact on anything other than my OCD-ness.

2. I think I raised this before, but I find it cumbersome when using One Point Alignment to, after making various entries to the Composite Dialogue box, have to click on it's header, prior to clicking on the Composite thumbnail, to be able to see and move the alignment point(s). As you previously explained, there is a justifiable reason to the workflow, but why can't this be revised so a click on the thumbnail causes the process to recognize that, because the Alignment box has an entry(ies), that the points and bounding box should appear on the image?

I often forget to click the Dialogue header and when I click directly on the thumbnail, I then have to go back to and click on the Dialogue header. As described in a previous post, I have dual monitors with the second monitor having the Image Browser full screen with the dialogue boxes overlaid. They, of course, disappear behind the Browser window every time I click a thumbnail, which adds another step to retrieving the Dialogue and clicking it's header (then I have to click the thumbnail again). Maybe too optimistic a request.

Marv
jsachs

Re: Just being nitpicky

Post by jsachs »

While I am looking into point 1, note that there is an easier way to switch between the base and the overlay image, namely to use the two buttons labeled In and Ov at the top of the dialog box. By not clicking on the thumbnails, control remains with the dialog box so you avoid having to click on it to get control back every time you switch images.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Marpel

Post by Marpel »

Thanks Jonathan,

Your suggestion re the In and Ov buttons is of great help, in fact revealed a method I used to use in the old days with One Point Alignment, which I thought disappeared with PWP 8.

Having said that, to use the In and Ov buttons to move One Point Alignment, one still has to click the Dialogue header first, to activate the dialogue I guess, even though it should be (in my layman's mind) active when entries (Operation, Alignment) are being made (which is also sort of weird because once done, clicking on an alignment point immediately greys the header title again anyways).

Again, thanks for the help.

Marv
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

I am willing to look into this but I need a much more detailed description of what you are doing and how you want PWP to behave when you do it.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Marpel

Post by Marpel »

I guess my biggest issue is it seems the Dialogue Header has to be clicked after entries are made to make things progress.

Prior to knowing what the In and Ov buttons do, when using single point alignment, I would enter certain details (ie Blend mode, Alignment parameters) and the Dialogue header remained greyed out, which then required a click on the Dialogue header, then click on the Composite thumbnail (I now realize that last part is not necessary).

Now that I know about the In and OV buttons, I can click on either to manipulate the Alignment control point(s), but I am still required to click on the Dialogue header, after making the various entries, for the alignment control points to show on the image. If the header is not clicked on, the control points, and "image box" do not show on the In image for example.

Conversely, the Resize Dialogue works when image dimensions are entered, not after the header is clicked on.

Perhaps it is related to a second Dialogue (Mask) being open at the same time? But not sure why that would have any bearing on why the control point(s) does/do not show immediately after choosing Alignment parameters.

Marv
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

Not sure what you mean -- when I do this here, changing Alignment or clicking IN or OV does not gray the dialog header or hide the alignment points. I need to know exactly what you are doing to reproduce this.

When you open a mask dialog box or click on it, the alignment points go away since the mask dialog box is active. Closing the Mask dialog box or clicking on the Composite dialog box brings control back and restores the alignment points. Closing the mask dialog box leaves the current mask intact but removes the colored overlay so you can see the input image and it reduces screen clutter. You can always re-open the mask dialog box if you need to rework it.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Marpel

Post by Marpel »

Ok, your explanation has helped me in figuring out this thing.

The whole conundrum is based on - I presumed that either the most recent dialogue, into which an entry was made, or the dialogue which has the header boldened, was the one "live".

I open three images (the overlay has an associated mask).

Composite - the header is boldened.

Identify the Ov image - As soon as this image is identified the Composite header goes grey.

Add a mask to the Ov image - Mask Dialogue appears but that header is greyed (even if you draw onto the image with the default freehand tool, the Mask header stays grey - but if a new mask tool is chosen, the header becomes "live"). The Composite header is also greyed.

Click on Alignment and choose Single Point - the Composite header remains greyed. No control point shows on the image.

Press In - no control point appears and the header remains grey.

Click on the header - the control point appears on the image.

It just seems weird to me that, even if a dialogue is open and one or more entries are made, the header can be greyed out, suggesting that dialogue is not live and some things occur when entered, while others do not unless the header is clicked on. As in the above, two dialogues can be open with neither header boldened. And also as described above, after all the entries and clicking, I have to click the Composite dialogue header for the control point to appear on the image.

Marv