Raw Develop

Moderator: jsachs

Robert Schleif

Raw Develop

Post by Robert Schleif »

Is there an explanation anywhere of what Raw Develop is doing? Does it perform its lens, curve, color, and sharpening operations before performing the Bayer demosaicing? Since it produces an image from a raw file so much more quickly than the raw converter provided by Canon, I wonder whether Raw Develop is using the most sophisticated demosaicing algorithms. If this transformation proves popular, I assume that ultimately it will support CR3.
jsachs

Re: Raw Develop

Post by jsachs »

Raw Develop uses something called LibRaw to read raw files -- you can read more about this at libraw.org. It does all the demosaicing, etc using code similar to dcraw. Support for new raw file formats depends on when LibRaw adds them, so I have no control over this. The camera and lens profiles are applied after reading the raw file. Unfortunately I have no way to provide camera or lens profiles for cameras or lenses I do not own myself, but I have provided the tools to created custom profiles.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Robert Schleif

Re: Raw Develop

Post by Robert Schleif »

Thank you. From what I understand of the LibRaw web site, the library itself provides only basic raw conversion from a very wide variety of cameras, and it looks like some form of output from the LibRaw library can then be used as input to a sophisticated raw converter.