Tint showing the loaded colorline?

Moderator: jsachs

davidh

Tint showing the loaded colorline?

Post by davidh »

I have been wondering whether it would be worth the effort to show and save the name of the color line loaded to Tint transformation. Just a simple text somewhere below the ruler.
If you have more similar colorlines that do not differ distinctly, you never know for sure which one was loaded in that particular branch.

Of course there is a question what to show when you load a colorline and then make some editing to it.
This could be solved, for example, by adding something like (...) to the displayed name to show that the colorline served only as a sort of template in the transformation.
There would be no linking or dependency whatever happened to the original colorline elsewhere later - whether renamed, edited and saved under the same name, or discarded from the disc.

Perhaps for some future consideration.
jsachs

Re: Tint showing the loaded colorline?

Post by jsachs »

This is a reasonable suggestion, but to be consistent I would need to do something similar for all the other types of files you can load such as curves, brushes, etc. In addition, all of this information would need to be saved in command lines and script files so it didn't disappear when you end a session. Overall, this would be a daunting amount of work for a relatively small benefit, but I will make a note of your idea for possible future work.

In the meantime, you could manually add this information to the comment for the transformation as a "note to self"
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
davidh

Post by davidh »

Yes, I had my doubts about the worthiness of my suggestion and I suspected the likely implications.

Now, speaking about the Comments, perhaps this information could be automatically appended to the already existing transformation Comment box. This would not require adding any new fields to the tranformation windows, refreshing them etc.
Any edditing to the colorline (or similar files) would be ignored in the comment. This way it would even show the history of loaded files with the current at the end.

But let me emphasize that this is just a sort of ideas that come and go. Nice to have but nothing more.
den
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Canon EOS-350D/Fuji X100T

Post by den »

With the above suggestion, the browser workspace could have many notification indications for comments. How would you separate program generated comments from true "note to self" without having to click/open each one? I typically will change the caption to include a tint name if the color line is not obvious, for example:
"Tint - SplitTone".

...den...
den
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Canon EOS-350D/Fuji X100T

Post by den »

Another possibility...
Screenshot (9)-1 v1.jpg
Screenshot (9)-1 v1.jpg (82.9 KiB) Viewed 3300 times
Might work for other "Loaded:" files for other transforms as well although file name lengths will need to be addressed. May be something for the future.

...den...
davidh

Post by davidh »

I usually have quite long branches - on average about ten transformations- often with some sub-branches, and all this in several versions next to each other for comparison purposes. This way the Browser is rather crowded - I do not use two monitors. So changing the caption in a squeezed transformation thumbnail unfortunately does not work for me.

Of course, separating one part of the comment from the rest does not make much sense and is not the goal. However, looking at the attached image with the cursor hovering over the local menu brings another idea:

Transformation with a comment gets a three dot icon in the upper right corner - hovering the cursor over this icon might possibly display the comment like a hovering tip. The size or length of the tip containing the comment would have to be limited to a fixed number of characters.
Which consequently means that the automatically generated comments should be appended to the front of the comment so that the latest one is always displayed in the tip.
Sorry Jonathan, just another idea that comes and goes :).