PWP is unresponsive on starting. It's the old problem doc.

Moderator: jsachs

AndyWilkes

PWP is unresponsive on starting. It's the old problem doc.

Post by AndyWilkes »

I posted about PWP being unresponsive on starting a few weeks ago ("PWP is unresponsive on starting. "). This has happened again. I was running 8.0.171, so I removed it and installed ..173 and still frozen on start (with buttons not greyed out). As before though choosing 'open with' from the Rt click menu of a number of tiffs or jpgs opens the program. HPZ230 Xeon with Nvidia quadro p620 graphics card if this might be the culprit. Thanks for PWP I love the way it works.
AndyWilkes

Re: PWP is unresponsive on starting. It's the old problem doc.

Post by AndyWilkes »

Further info.
Having opened the program from a tiff's or jpg's rt click menu it is now opening as it should from the program's shortcuts and not freezing.
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

I rebuilt the debug version of PWP for the latest release. First you need to download the zip file:

https://www.dl-c.com/Documents/Picture% ... 0Debug.zip

Next, locate the folder PWP is installed in -- normally C:\Program Files\Digital Light & Color\Picture Window Pro 8

In that folder, rename PWP 8.0.exe to something like PWP 8.0 Release.exe

Next double click on the zip file you downloaded and drag PWP 8.0.exe to the PWP install folder, effectively replacing the release version with the debug version.

Now launch PWP normally -- it will display a series of messages as it goes through its startup -- let me know the last message it displays. That will let me know where in the initialization sequence it is failing so I can localize the problem.

Finally, you can delete the debug version of PWP 8.0.exe and rename the release version back to PWP 8.0.exe.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

Since it seems to work if you pass a file to it, processing the file is the last thing in the startup code, so everything before that is probably working.

If there is no file to open on startup, PWP looks at the setting in File/Preferences called On Startup. Depending on how that is set, it may be trying to ask you for the name of a workspace to load. Please check that setting and let me know what you have it set to (Don't ask to load workspace/Ask to load workspace).
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
AndyWilkes

Post by AndyWilkes »

Thank you. It is set to ask to load workspace.
AndyWilkes

Post by AndyWilkes »

Finally, the debug version of PWP started and ran OK.
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

Try setting it to don't ask.

When PWP was unresponsive, did it ask to load a workspace before becoming unresponsive? If so, what response did you make?

Is it possible that the dialog box asking to load a workspace somehow got covered up by the main window? Since it is a modal dialog box, this would make the program look unresponsive since it was waiting for you to respond to the dialog box.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
AndyWilkes

Post by AndyWilkes »

Set to 'don't ask' it again opened OK.
It did not get to ask to load a workspace when it was frozen.
If it happens again I will carefully check for a hidden dialog box.
I forgot it's not midnight where you are - I assume any way that you are not in the East of England.
Thanks again.
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

No problem, I'm a morning person in the eastern time zone of USA
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color