PWP6 Browser: 'Extract Jpeg Image' option question

Moderator: jsachs

den
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Canon EOS-350D/Fuji X100T

PWP6 Browser: 'Extract Jpeg Image' option question

Post by den »

Kiril...

Am I correct in assuming that when 'Extract Jpeg Image' is selected in the PWP6 Browser, that the image that opens in the Working Space is a loss-less 24-bit tif that has NOT been converted from a jpeg compression image version first?

In other words, is this a loss-less process resulting in an 8-bit [24-bit color] tif Working Space image and if a jpeg is actually desired, the Working Space image must be 'saved as' to a jpeg format?
ksinkel

Re: PWP6 Browser: 'Extract Jpeg Image' option question

Post by ksinkel »

Most raw formats contain a 'thumbnail' image embedded in the raw file in a compressed (probably jpeg) format. This image has been converted to an 24 bit rgb image by the camera and is probably used by the camera for the LCD display. My guess is that in most cases the conversion process is the same or very similar to that used to create a jpeg if that format were chosen in the camera. However I have never seen this documanted. The resolution of the embedded image varies by camera model. In many models it is nearly the same resolution as the main image. In other models it may be 1/2 the resolution. The extract jpeg function extracts this image from the raw file at whatever resolution the camera provides. PWP also uses the embedded image to create the thumbs in the browser and for preview display in the Play window.

Kiril
Kiril Sinkel
Digital Light & Color
den

Post by den »

...Thank you, Kirl...
ksinkel

Post by ksinkel »

Here is a suggestion for anyone who shoots raw + jpeg. Check the embedded image to see if it meets the needs you have for the jpeg you produce. If so, you can save space on your card (and the confusion of extra images) by shooting raw only and then extracting the jpeg whenever it is needed.

Kiril
Kiril Sinkel
Digital Light & Color
den

Post by den »

Kiril...

TonyG and I have been exploring another use of the 'extracted jpeg' as a quick way to produce reduced resolution/auto-processed images for client review of 'event photography' scenes... reserving full RAW development for only client selected images...

...but we have hit a snag with PWP6 for 'bulk' extractions...

When a multiple Raw file selection is made in the Browser [thumbnail borders turn 'black' with a left click on the first file selection and a shift-left click on the last file of the selections]; then a right click; then left click "Extract Jpeg Image"... ...only one extraction occurs which happens to be whichever thumbnail the mouse is located when left clicking the "Extract Jpeg Image" option.

Is this the way the extraction(s) were intended? to be done on a one by one basis?
ksinkel

Post by ksinkel »

Currently jpeg extraction works directly on the image clicked -- not on all selected images. However it is reasonable to extend this to selected images.

Kiril
Kiril Sinkel
Digital Light & Color
andrewh

Post by andrewh »

Kiril,

Very very interesting. My camera (Canon 5D MkII) extracts a full resolution 21 MP image. Seems excellent. Now I have to do some tests to see if all the camera settings are used in that JPEG. I would expect the answer to be "yes" and so there is no need for a Raw + JPEG.

It would be great to extend to selected images as you suggest. What would be really great would be to have an user defined folder into which to extract them. That way PWP6 would be even wonderfuller than it now is.

Many thanks
Andrew from Addis
ksinkel

Post by ksinkel »

I am planning to add an extract-jpg widget which could be used in place of the raw widget if the jpg is what is wanted. This of course can be teamed with the Save File widget to place images wherever desired.

Kiril
Kiril Sinkel
Digital Light & Color
tomczak
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Fuji X-E2

Post by tomczak »

An observation regarding the size of JPGs embedded in RAW by the camera: in Canon 350D, if it is set to shoot RAW+JPG, it produces full size JPG and also embeds the same full size JPG in RAW. If the setting is RAW only, the JPG embedded in RAW is 1/4 the size of the full image. So one trick that I used to do because I wanted full-size, in-camera JPGs embedded in RAW, was to shoot RAW+JPG, then delete all the JPGs when uploading to the computer.

Canon S95 always embeds 1/4-sized JPGs in RAW, regardless of the settings.
Maciej Tomczak
Phototramp.com
den

Post by den »

Thank you, Maciej...

I wondered what was going on with my 350D CR2's and why the embeded jpegs were different sizes when extracted. I thought possibly it was a problem with PWP but dcraw option "-e" was doing the same thing...

I really appreciate this observation re the 350D...

Kiril... the 'Extract Jpeg' widget would be super and appreciated!!!