Create Display Profile for WIn 10

Moderator: jsachs

jsachs

Create Display Profile for WIn 10

Post by jsachs »

I kept my old pc running XP for picture editing. But following a lightening strike, it developed a hardware fault and will no longer boot. Hence a new laptop running Win 10 Home as I need to get back into Photo editing.

Some additions to the posts for PMM in Win 10.
Thanks to Craig and Dieter for the info.
As per previous posts, PMM not supported, but the puck will work using other software. Use the links from the previous Win7 posts

As per Win 7 recommendations, I downloaded/installed Argyll and DisplayCal.

Couple of installation points to watch out for:
Argyll installation instructions worked, but due to the different versions of Win 10, some features aren't where they're documented by Argyll. Suggest you search for the screen name you need - e.g. Device Manager. Also, unless you have a good memory, print the restart section of the instructions, cos otherwise you'll get partway through the restart - which has of course closed your web browser so you can no longer read the instructions.
Posts with Win 7 recommendation is to not create the path to the Argyll software. If you omit the step, you'll need to navigate manually to the software in displaycal.

Puck USB drivers/recognition:
As expected, when plugged into USB port, it comes up as unknown device, no drivers found. Shows as unknown device in device manager under USB section.
Followthe Argyll installation instructions to update driver software/load Puck via USB, but be careful to install from ...\Argyll_V2.1.1\usb and not ...\Argyll_V2.1.1\usb\bin\x86 (guess I was trying to be too lever, so found the hard way that being clever doesn't work)
Driver update gives warnings that are different to the documentation, accept and install
If successfully installed, puck shows as Eye-One Display (Argyll) in the update window, and can now be seen in Device Manager as Argyll LibUSB-win32 devices\Eye-One Display 1 (Argyll). Guessing the may change slightly if other devices loaded.
I ran the calibration using the DisplayCAL GUI for the Argyll software. Generated a good profile, took over 15 minutes. Add the recommended 30 minutes for the puck to warm up and you'd best allow a good hour...
Calibration started by doing a quick check and telling me to adjust screen colour balance/colour temp. I couldn't find where to do this in Win 10 Home. In pro, which we use at work it wasn't difficult. So I gave up on the home machine.
Next step is a touch confusing. Click on the Stop Measuring button. Can't go further otherwise.
Then proceed with the calibration. No real tricks here, seems to be a very thorough process.
Kev
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color