Help is not working

Moderator: jsachs

Staylor2
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Panasonic Lumix G9

Help is not working

Post by Staylor2 »

I have installed PWP8 on a Kubuntu 22.04 Linux system. I used the full installer with Wine. It seems to be working fine except that the help system
is not working. I believe the help file is either not present or is not in the right place. What file should there be and where should it be?
Steve Taylor
Staylor2

Re: Help is not working

Post by Staylor2 »

I started comparing my Linux installation with my Windows 10 installation and I think the help file is "Picture Window Pro.chm" and it works on the Windows system. On my Linux system it is located in "/home/steve/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Digital Light and Color/" which seems to be similar to the path in Windows. That is where the PWP 8.0.exe file is located. However, PWP8 is not finding the help file when I start it.
Steve Taylor
Staylor2

Post by Staylor2 »

Also, when I look at the properties of the desktop icon for PWP8, the command for starting PWP8 is:
env WINEPREFIX="/home/steve/.wine" wine-stable C:\\users\\steve\\Local\ Settings\\Application\ Data\\Programs\\Digital\ Light\ \&\ Color\\Picture\ Window\ Pro\ 8\\PWP\ 8.0.exe

and the working path is:
/home/steve/.wine/dosdevices/c:/users/steve/Local Settings/Application Data/Programs/Digital Light & Color/Picture Window Pro 8/

That working path wasn't quite right on my computer as the final directory was simply "Picture Window Pro." I renamed it to add the "8" but it still isn't working. The "Picture Window Pro.chm" help file is present in both of those locations.
Steve Taylor
Staylor2

Post by Staylor2 »

I just realized that this really should be in the support section and not here in tips. I put it here because I saw the previous post about getting PWP8 working on Linux here. My Windows 10 system is S L O W and takes forever to boot and become usable. The same computer running Linux is much faster so that's why I'd like to get PWP8 running on it.
Steve Taylor
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

PWP expects its help file to be in the same folder as the executable, so I have no idea why it would not be working.

If you double click on the Picture Window Pro.chm file does the help appear?

As an alternative, the help file can also be downloaded as a pdf from the downloads page.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Staylor2

Post by Staylor2 »

Thanks Jonathan, yes the chm file opens fine. I'll do some more experimenting to see if I can figure it out.
Steve
Steve Taylor
sfeinst

Post by sfeinst »

You say the help is at /home/steve/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Digital Light and Color/, but the exe and working path is at /home/steve/.wine/dosdevices/c:/users/steve/Local Settings/Application Data/Programs/Digital Light & Color/Picture Window Pro 8/

Jonathan said the exe and chm should be in the same place. If you ls /home/steve/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Digital\ Light\ and\ Color/ what do you see? Both chm and exe, one and not the other or neither. Is there a Picture Window Pro folder there and the chm and exe are underneath it? If the latter, try running wine from that folder:
cd /home/steve/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Digital\ Light\ and\ Color/Picture\ Window\ Pro
wine pwp8.exe or possibly wine ./pwp8.exe (I forget)

I don't know if this will work, but you want everything to be in the same directory to have a chance.
Staylor2

Post by Staylor2 »

Yes the .exe file and the .chm are both in the same directory. I tried running PWP8 directtly under wine and it still does not work. However, I did get this error message:
MESA-INTEL: warning: Haswell Vulkan support is incomplete
MESA-INTEL: warning: Haswell Vulkan support is incomplete
Could not find Wine Gecko. HTML rendering will be disabled.
00bc:err:mshtml:create_document_object Failed to init Gecko, returning CLASS_E_CLASSNOTAVAILABLE

I'm sure that is the problem as the help file is HTNL. Now how do I fix it? I'll look into this some more but if anyone have any ideas, please let me know
Thanks,
Steve
Steve Taylor
sfeinst

Post by sfeinst »

When you run wine the first time, it usually asks if you want to install the library for rendering html.
Staylor2

Post by Staylor2 »

I went to the https://wiki.winehq.org/Gecko website, downloaded the correct Gecko files, put them in ~/.cache/wine directory and it is now working.
Wine never asked me about installing any libraries.
Now the only downside to running PWP8 in linux is that there aren't any drivers for my Epson P600 printer.
Thanks,
Steve
Steve Taylor