Lazlo effect - den?

Moderator: jsachs

croos

Lazlo effect - den?

Post by croos »

More than 10 years ago we had some threads about accomplishing what was then called the Lazlo effect with PWP. Mostly used for sort of harsh looking portraits. Think old coal miner with wrinkles an black pores in need of a shave. The Lazlo effect accentuated that look.

I found some old photos, not at all portraits, where I had used that effect and wanted to play a little with it now, but of course I have forgotten how do to it. I guess the threads are gone and searching the new forum didn't turn anything useful up. But I think den made a writeup. Any chance that's still available somewhere?
jsachs

Re: Lazlo effect - den?

Post by jsachs »

https://www.dl-c.com/Discus-1/5234/3776.html

The original post this technique was based on is no longer available.

I encapsulated Den's technique and a copy of the original image in the attached script file. To run the script, just do a Script/Open Script command and select the script file. It will then ask you for the name of an image file to operate on -- once you pick a file it will open it and create the Lazlo effect on it.
Attachments
Lazlo.zip
(132.03 KiB) Downloaded 490 times
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
croos

Post by croos »

Thank you, Jonathan. I think that's the very thread I was looking for. Much appreciated.
den
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Canon EOS-350D/Fuji X100T

Post by den »

The Lazlo Effect is really a variation based on the post imaging style of Dragan. An internet search for the Dragan Effect will produce links to many tutorials which have differing workflows that can provide ideas for your own style. For an example:

Creating the Dragan Effect -- https://support.corel.com/hc/en-us/arti ... ntShop-Pro

A basic PWP8 variation for the image example of the tutorial follows: HSL-SL Color/Tone adjustment of a HighPass/USM sharpened image version; and converting to SplitTone monochrome...
HSL-SL version.jpg
HSL-SL version.jpg (78.07 KiB) Viewed 8477 times
SplitTone version.jpg
SplitTone version.jpg (78.17 KiB) Viewed 8477 times
The PWP8 script with a Copy starting dialog is attached.

Have fun exploring... ...this technique is not just for portraits but with variations works well for landscape and nature images as well.

...den...
Attachments
DraganEffect - Old Man.zip
(1.31 KiB) Downloaded 468 times
pierrelabreche
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon Z8

Post by pierrelabreche »

jsachs wrote: January 16th, 2021, 9:43 am https://www.dl-c.com/Discus-1/5234/3776.html

The original post this technique was based on is no longer available.

I encapsulated Den's technique and a copy of the original image in the attached script file. To run the script, just do a Script/Open Script command and select the script file. It will then ask you for the name of an image file to operate on -- once you pick a file it will open it and create the Lazlo effect on it.
Hi Jonathan,
Could you describe the purpose of each step of the Lazlo workflow ? In particular, what is the purpose of mask1, mask 1a, mask 1b and composite's base mask ? Is one supposed to edit the masks for different source imageS ?