PWP Seminar(s)

Moderator: jsachs

Marpel
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D810

PWP Seminar(s)

Post by Marpel »

While reading the two most recent posts on HDR/Stack Images and Masks, I again mused to myself about the benefit of a PWP Seminar, where hot topics could be pre-determined for presentation and the audience given an opportunity to try them out and/or ask questions in person, of the experts. I thought I recalled at least one prior occasion where a forum participant asked about such a thing, so I searched "Seminar" and found a 2005 post in which the question was asked, however, I could not find the response.

So....in light of the recent release of a new version and the more complicated HDR/Stack, 2-Tone/3-Tone adjustments (and others) available these days, has any recent thought been given to holding a weekend PWP Seminar (perhaps in conjunction with a day of photography, followed by some image editing instructions). Although I find the PWP forum of significant value for learning/understanding, an in-person forum where immediate questions/answers was possible, would prove invaluable (perhaps Den could be coerced into giving a presentation???).

I realize putting on such an endeavour can be a bit difficult and time-consuming and I'm unsure of the size of the PWP community so unaware of the potential response to make it worthwhile.

Comments?

Marv
MarkT

Re: PWP Seminar(s)

Post by MarkT »

Hi Marv,

Yes, a few years back I offered an intensive weekend workshop based around PWP, but since I'm in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, I guess not many people wanted to make the trek (we "forum members" seem to be scattered all over the globe, so getting together in one location might be difficult).

I currently offer PWP - specific classes (2-3 hours each, over a few weeks...) at my studio to a handful of local photographers, and have thought about trying a three-day weekend session later this year. I even made a half-hearted request to see if either or both Kiril and Jonathan might be willing to venture north and make a guest appearance... Maybe I should try harder... I think their presence might make attendance somewhat more appealing.

I'm interested to see what other people have to say on this topic.
bbodine9

Post by bbodine9 »

What if we were to use the internet to do a webcast series of sessions? That is being done quite often these days and would surely be cost effective and could have wide participation around the world. No travel and sessions could be saved for later replay. We may have the expertise right here on the forum.
dvhirst
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Canon 70D

Post by dvhirst »

bbodine9 wrote:What if we were to use the internet to do a webcast series of sessions? That is being done quite often these days and would surely be cost effective and could have wide participation around the world. No travel and sessions could be saved for later replay. We may have the expertise right here on the forum.
To me, this makes enormously good sense. Granted, it is not the same as being together in the same room, but a well done webinar can result in nearly all the benefits of an in-person meeting while returning significant cost and time savings. I'd be glad to assist on the webinar part of the effort, working with anyone who wants to put together such a series. I do not doubt for a minute that fellow forum members have sufficient expertise to successfully carry off such an endeavor.

I'm eager to hear from others who feel that this could work and work well for us.

Regards,

Don
Don Hirst
Canon 70D, 17-40L, 24-105L, 100-400L
Canon G10, G7x
Marpel
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D810

Post by Marpel »

As I have never been involved in a web-based seminar before, I can't comment much on it's viability and whether it would meet all the requirements of an interactive teaching/learning environment. As others have mentioned, attending an in-person seminar presents issues with regard to travel/costs/arrangements etc so perhaps a webinar would be the next best thing.
I sort of threw in the idea of a photography/seminar combination to make travel etc more compelling (perhaps in conjunction with holidays??), however, as my role would probably be relegated to just an attendee, it's easy for me to wish for the world. I recognize others may have a different perspective, especially those who would be saddled with instructing and putting things together.
Having said all that, I would be a willing volunteer and provide whatever support/leg work that I could.

Marv
MikeG
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Panasonic G1

Post by MikeG »

I'd certainly be interested in a web based training course.
Living in Sydney, Australia, it has great attraction, especially if it can be viewed at a time of my own choosing.
I found that which Mark offered some time back well worthwhile as I learned a few new things, even in areas that I thought I was pretty much on top of.
And there are plenty of subtleties that are still to be mastered.
Mike.
doug
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D-500

Post by doug »

As much as I would enjoy a face-to-face PWP tutorial session, our numbers are so few and we're so geographically dispersed that it seems like it would be very difficult to pull off. But the idea of a web-based seminar sounds very interesting and practical to me.
I'm wondering if any other photo software supplier (Corel, Adobe, etc.) has ever tried anything like it. If so, PWP might be able to piggy-back on lessons learned (things to do and things NOT to do).
On the other hand, if this is virgin territory, in addition to helping us current PWP fans become even more skilled, it might create a buzz among potential converts.
keithrj
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Canon 40D

Post by keithrj »

What about people putting together short videos on different aspects of PWP and then posting them somewhere on this site with J & K's permission.

Go and have a look here for some very good short video tutorials: http://www.xara.com/us/products/designe ... als-demos/
MarkT

Post by MarkT »

Hi Kieth,

Since you asked, I made a couple of video tutorials a few years ago (PWP ver 4) that may also serve as examples:

http://www.picturetheweb.com/ptw/downlo ... nloads.htm (see "Mask Basics" and "Composite")

I used Camtasia Studio to make the videos, and have been trying to find the time to make more up-to-date versions. I'm sure between the forum members we could come up with a more complete library of tutorials.

A "webinar" would be more of a "in real time" experience, I think. I don't know about the technical side of things, but if anyone could make a suggestion as to how to produce such a thing, I think it would be fun to interact with a group on a schedule.
thover
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D80

Post by thover »

I agree that a live "webinar" would be great fun for all who were able to sync their free time with that event (in-person great if even possible ???), but setting up a YouTube PWP channel that made user help videos and even a recording of that live gathering, should it happen, and maybe posting some recorded walkthroughs/how-tos by Den and the others here who really have mastered PWP would be of more lasting value.