multiuser installation

Moderator: jsachs

pierrelabreche
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon Z8

multiuser installation

Post by pierrelabreche »

Picture Window Pro was installed using one Windows account. When PWP is used from another account, there is a series of errors "error loading bitmap file".
jsachs

Re: multiuser installation

Post by jsachs »

I presume you would need to install it for each user account. The bitmaps are stored in My Documents which is a per-user folder.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
pierrelabreche

Post by pierrelabreche »

Would you consider moving the bitmap files somewhere in the installation folder, e.g. C:\Program Files\Digital Light & Color\Picture Window Pro 8\...
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

They are there because some of the bitmaps get updated dynamically when the program is running and so PWP needs to be able to update the files. If they are in the install folder, users would not have the permission to do so.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
pierrelabreche

Post by pierrelabreche »

How about distribution bitmaps in the installation folder and dynamic bitmaps in user folders ?
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

How does that fix the problem? You will still get errors every time you run the program.

If you don't do separate installs for each user there will be many other problems since everything in My Documents and preferences, color management settings, session settings, etc. are also on a per user basis.

I'm not sure what problem you are trying to solve, but you might consider creating a portable installation which can run on any machine from a flash drive or from some other folder. See the Help/Create Portable Installation... command and the corresponding help topic.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
pierrelabreche

Post by pierrelabreche »

Thanks for the information on the portable installation, which I was not aware of. I will look into it.

Here is what I was trying to solve : PWP is the only program that I use which does not install equally for all users.
The issue is that the PWP installation is visible from all user accounts, but it only works adequately on the one account from which it was installed. It is not installed for a single user only.
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

According to the current installer settings, PWP should be installed per machine if installed by an administrator or per user if installed by a non-administrator, which is the installer's default setting.

There is another installer option to install for the current user only which looks like it might be the right one to use. I am reluctant to switch this for the next release since it may have unintended consequences, but I could put together a version for you to test if you want to try it.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
pierrelabreche

Post by pierrelabreche »

Sure I can try it !
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

OK, here is a link to the per user installer:

https://www.dl-c.com/Documents/Picture% ... 20User.msi

Even though I specified Per User Only, it seems to ask you anyway if you want to install for all users or just the current user. In a multiuser install, I assume it will only work if you select the current user option, but I have not confirmed this.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color