Border size when resizing using Crop/Add Border

Moderator: jsachs

Robert Schleif

Border size when resizing using Crop/Add Border

Post by Robert Schleif »

When resizing and adding a border using Crop/Add Border, the border width refers to the original size of the image. Most often I want the width of the border in the final, resized image to be a particular value. Obtaining this requires an annoying side calculation of the magnification factor and then applying this to the border width. It would really be convenient If there were the option of specifying the border width for either the image as is (the present arrangement) or for the resized image. A checkbox on the Crop/Add Border window would suffice as far as the user interface is concerned.
bobsofpa

Re: Border size when resizing using Crop/Add Border

Post by bobsofpa »

I just make this a 2 step process. First I resize the image and then, as a separate step, add the border. I got into this habit when Crop and Add Border were two separate transformations.
Dieter Mayr
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D700

Post by Dieter Mayr »

For me the method of 2 steps that bobsofpa is the method of joice too.
Adding a border (and maybe a signature) is for me the last step before printing, i resize the image to the desired size and aspect ratio, then sharpen it for printing and as last step adding a border, if this is desired.
I dont want the border to be sharpend too, this gives, to my expierience, unpleasant halos in the image and border.
bobsofpa

Post by bobsofpa »

Agree, I forgot to mention that I do any necessry sharpening between the resize and add border transformations.
Robert Schleif

Post by Robert Schleif »

Thanks, good method. I guess I got hung up on doing it all in one operation.