Mask Hierarchy

Moderator: jsachs

Marpel
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D810

Mask Hierarchy

Post by Marpel »

Tried to find an explanation in the "Creating and Using Masks" document, but unsuccessful, unless I missed it.

When creating a number of Composites with a few images, the Input Image drop down list grows as each transform is done, and the list is structured by the last image generated/opened from the highest number at the top to the lowest number at the bottom of the list. This list includes all images in the Browser, including any masks.

However, the Mask drop-down list seems to use a different hierarchy that can be quite confusing. I think there is logic to the process but, especially if there are a lot of masks, it can be quite confusing to find a specific mask (although I will say, adding the thumbnails has helped considerably).

As an example, if I open a few images, including say, three masks, initially these masks will show up, numbered as they relate to the order in which they were opened (i.e if I open 3 images, then 3 masks, the masks will be numbered 4,5,6 in the mask drop-down list). However, if I generate a new mask during a Composite transformation, this mask is placed at the top of the list, even though it is numerically higher than the previous masks (so, 9, 4, 5, 6). To add confusion, today I was using a number of open masks to create a number of edge masks (in this example, let's say I generated an edge mask from mask 5). These new/edge mask were given the next higher available number, but were placed just below the mask from whence they came (so now 9, 4, 5, 11, 6).

So, I am wondering if there is a written explanation on the listing/numbering protocol as it relates to masks, just so I can get this straight in my head?

Marv
jsachs

Re: Mask Hierarchy

Post by jsachs »

The list of potential mask images is not currently sorted in any easily predictable order.

For the next release, they are sorted with the most recent transformations first. Masks associated with a transformation are listed in ascending order following the transformation.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Marpel
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D810

Re: Mask Hierarchy

Post by Marpel »

Sounds good.

Thanks for the response.

Marv