Brightness curve vs histogram

Moderator: jsachs

johnp
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Canon 90D

Brightness curve vs histogram

Post by johnp »

I'm running PWP 8.0.331 on Win-8.1

Today I noticed an oddity in the Brightness Curve tool that is a relatively recent issue.

I open a color TIFF image, then start the brightness curve tool. It is set to show both before & after.

If I point into either image with my mouse (no click yet) no 'line' indicator in the histogram shows.
If I only right-click, still no indication in the histogram UNTIL I move the mouse a bit, then the
vertical line shows up. BUT if I move the mouse (still clicked) more lines appear the earlier ones are
never erased. I soon can see a sea of red lines under the histogram.

This behavior is *relatively * recent, I'm not sure when is snuck into the program.

Thanks!

John P
jsachs

Re: Brightness curve vs histogram

Post by jsachs »

A while back I did change the way this works.

When you (left) click and drag on the input or output image, red marker lines are displayed on the histogram corresponding to the brightness of the image at the cursor locations. When you release the mouse button, the marker lines are erased. The multiple red lines are intended to give you an idea of the range of brightness values in some region of interest in the image so you know what part of the curve to modify.

Shift-clicking on an image inserts a new control point on the curve at the brightness level of the image at the cursor location.

Right-clicking is not supposed to do anything (other than display a context menu) and I do not see it creating red marker lines when I try it here.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
johnp
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Canon 90D

Post by johnp »

Sorry, I meant left click.

Mice are so complicated :)

John P
Marpel
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D810

Post by Marpel »

Similar to John's point, it would be nice to immediately see a single line on the Brightness curve/histogram when a single click is done on the image (rather than shift-click, which generates a point on the curve), rather than having to move the mouse.

Marv
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

Fixed for next release.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color