Zooming while creating a mask using the polygon tool

Moderator: jsachs

pierrelabreche
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon Z8

Zooming while creating a mask using the polygon tool

Post by pierrelabreche »

Observation when using the mask polygon tool : As soon as the image display is zoomed, for example using the mouse wheel, the polygon completes ( its points are no longer editable ).

Desired behavior : after zooming in ou out, keep the polygon mask tool in edit mode so the user can move around the image and continue modifying the polygon.
jsachs

Re: Zooming while creating a mask using the polygon tool

Post by jsachs »

This seems to happen only in specific situations -- can you tell me what you encountered this problem? I have fixed it for for the next release for at least one scenario.

In particular, this only seems to happen when you zoom using the mouse wheel and not the zoom tool bar.

As a temporary workaround, all you need to do to edit the polygon is click the Mask Undo button.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
pierrelabreche

Post by pierrelabreche »

I have seen this behavior while zooming using the mouse scroll wheel, not using the zoom + and - control buttons.

This behavior, that is, completing the polygon, can also happen while clicking using the touchpad's buttons in combination with keyboard shift and alt keys.
pierrelabreche

Post by pierrelabreche »

While pressing the Alt key, a double-click completes the polygon (equivalent to the run button). Is this an intentional feature ?
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

This should be working better in the latest 8.330 release. Let me know if you continue to see unintentional mask finalization with the latest version.

Clicking anywhere on the transformation dialog box by intention finalizes the current mask operation. This is to prevent surprises when clicking OK in the transformation dialog box as this finalizes the mask before performing the final update and to make sure any changes to the transformation settings are applied to the final mask.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
pierrelabreche

Post by pierrelabreche »

jsachs wrote: November 7th, 2022, 3:11 pm This should be working better in the latest 8.330 release. Let me know if you continue to see unintentional mask finalization with the latest version.
Yes, many thanks! Mouse scrolling now works as expected!
jsachs wrote: November 7th, 2022, 3:11 pm Clicking anywhere on the transformation dialog box by intention finalizes the current mask operation. This is to prevent surprises when clicking OK in the transformation dialog box as this finalizes the mask before performing the final update and to make sure any changes to the transformation settings are applied to the final mask.
While the polygon tool is active, Alt-double-click in the input display part of the main image area finalizes the polygon mask. Is this a documented feature?
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

I have fixed the Alt-Double-Click problem for the next release -- will need some additional testing to make sure there are no unintended consequences of the fix.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color