Update Available - Version 8.0.312

Moderator: jsachs

jsachs

Update Available - Version 8.0.312

Post by jsachs »

An update is available to Version 8.0.312 (10-Aug-2022)

The changes (taken from the update log) are:

Readout Tool: The Readout Settings Menu now has a new item at the bottom to bring up a color picker window that updates as the readout changes. This color picker is for display purposes only – it is disabled to prevent you from selecting colors or modes other than the color wheel.

Print: fixed problem with crop box not being editable.

Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Marpel
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D810

Re: Update Available - Version 8.0.312

Post by Marpel »

Latest version.

Not sure if the (changed version) of the Readout Tool is doing some heavy lifting, in particular when the Colour Wheel is used in conjunction, but have experienced the following.

- If I open an image and make a string (at least 2) of Color Balances, then use the Readout Tool as I described in my other post (while having the Color Wheel open, identify a location in the last image then click on each image upstream), the numbers related to some of the images will change by a couple numbers if I click on them a second time (ie the bottom image in the stack will initially show 168, 154, 133 then the next time clicked will show all three or two of the three change by up to 4 numbers - eg 167, 152, 136). The only one which does not change is the top image in the stack. Funny enough, after the first time they change, the numbers don't change again but do show the same changed numbers and not the original. Hopefully my explanation is not too confusing.

- If I use the Favourites list for a few Transformations, when I left or right click on the button, everything works as expected (ie last Transform is highlighted in red or the last-used Dialogue opens). However, if I use the Readout Tool somewhere in there, it becomes erratic and either the Transform is not highlighted (lt click) or the Dialogue does not open (rt click) but the Favourites list will open with no Transform highlighted. This is intermittent and does not seem to follow a pattern.

- After doing the last scenario with the Favourites button and Readout Tool, sometimes when clicking the Readout Tool, PWP will crash. Just to confirm what is happening, I tried this 5 times and PWP crashed 3 of those 5, although the number of Transforms and Readout Tool usage varied in each attempt. I have rarely had PWP crash in the past (in fact the last crash occurred a few years back prior to upgrading my computer), even when having up to a dozen, or more, images open and multiple lengthy Transform stacks displayed.

FYI,

Marv
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

>> If I open an image and make a string (at least 2) of Color Balances, then use the Readout Tool as I described in my other post (while having the Color Wheel open, identify a location in the last image then click on each image upstream), the numbers related to some of the images will change by a couple numbers if I click on them a second time (ie the bottom image in the stack will initially show 168, 154, 133 then the next time clicked will show all three or two of the three change by up to 4 numbers - eg 167, 152, 136). The only one which does not change is the top image in the stack. Funny enough, after the first time they change, the numbers don't change again but do show the same changed numbers and not the original. Hopefully my explanation is not too confusing.

I was unable to reproduce this issue. Just to be clear, when you refer to clicking on an image above I assume you mean clicking on its thumbnail in the image browser. If you click on the image in the main image area, you will be changing the reference point that the readout tool is operating on. Of course, if you click too soon on the thumbnail it will be interpreted as a double-click and re-open the transformation. If the opened transformation is displaying its input image, then the readout might change to reflect this. If a Color Balance transformation is open, clicking on the input image will change the color balance by defining a new white balance color and also change the readout. When you talk about the numbers changing are you referring to the numbers in the Readout dialog box or the color picker? -- in any case they should be the same if you select the same readout mode.

Also exactly what are you doing just before PWP crashes?

I did review the code and fixed a few things, although I don't offhand see how they could have caused what you are seeing. In any case I will upload a new version shortly and you can see if it works for you.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Marpel
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D810

Post by Marpel »

Sorry if I was not clear.

By clicking on an image above, yes I meant in the Browser (upstream images).

Regarding the numbers, they are the 3 numbers appearing in the Readout Tool.

I would open a single image (let's say it has a noticeable blue cast), color balance it one time, with say 50% effect opacity, color balance that result again with a bit of a change to the balance, then do the same again. The resulting three changes all have a slightly different degree of color cast change. I then open the Readout Tool and click on a spot in the last image which is open in the Window (not the thumb). This sets a location and provides a set of 3 numbers in the Readout Tool.I then click on each image thumb in the tree, as well as the initial image, and visually compare the strength of the casts, to help me decide 1. which cast change is more suited to the image and 2. to also select which version I could use with a mask to restrict the changes to certain areas. When I do this, I like to have the Color Wheel open so I can see the marker move around and get a visual indication where the changes land (on both the Color Wheel and tone slider). I click a single time on each thumb and no Transform re-opens.

When I go through each thumb the first time, each shows a different set of three numbers in the Readout Tool (presumably reflecting the cast difference in each image), and of course each related image opens in the Window. However, if I click through the thumbs a second time, each Readout Toll set of numbers changes (a bit). The only thumb which does not have a change to the numbers is the top image in the tree. If I do this a third time, the numbers do not change again, but remain as they were when they changed during the second run through. In other words, they only change a single time and do not change back to the initial numbers.

Regarding what I am doing when PWP crashes, the sequence varies, but two things are constant - a sequence using the Readout Tool, mixed in with a few Transforms, like Color Balance and/or Composite, and - it crashes only when I try to (again) use the Readout Tool.

I will download a newer version and see if I can re-create these issues, and will advise.

Marv