Readout Tool

Moderator: jsachs

Marpel
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D810

Readout Tool

Post by Marpel »

I, fairly routinely, do up a few different Colour Balance versions of an image, and often use a mask to blend one with another, limiting the change(s) to certain areas (eg, use a bit bluer balance in the shadows). And I will make a couple of those Composites, with varying strengths of, as in this example, blue shadows.

I will then toggle between the images to get a visual feel for various changes.

Up until recently, I would also pull up the Palette Tool and try to pick the same spot in the images, and make a few colour squares, then use the Colour Picker/Wheel to see how the dot (or whatever it is called) in the wheel changes, as I click on each colour square in the Palette (by clicking on one square to bring up the wheel with the dot in a location, then click on each Palette square and watch the dot, and adjacent slider, move around). As I could not locate the exact spot on all the images it was a good, but not specific, method. Until I stumbled on the Readout Tool.

With the Readout Tool, I have found I can identify an exact location on one image, which gives me the numbers as well as showing a small colour button of that spot. I can then click on each image in the Browser and the Readout will change to match the colour in the exact same spot on each image.

Sorry for the long explanation, but my question is, although the Readout Tool info is great, I find the Colour Picker/Wheel gives me a more interactive way to see the changes between images, so I wonder if there is a way to access the Picker from the Readout Tool, where the dot/slider would be placed in the relevant locations. I thought clicking on the colour buttons would do this, but it appears not.

Marv