Raw settings dialog

Moderator: jsachs

pbandurian

Raw settings dialog

Post by pbandurian »

With regard to raw file settings, the advanced settings section, the manual says:

Output Color Space: The color space to which the final image converted from the camera's native color space. Conversion
is based on calibration values for the specific camera make and model and refined using the camera color profile, if one is supplied. Usually the output color space is set so it is the same as the working color space, as set in Color Management Settings. Three standard color spaces, listed in order of increasing color gamut, are available. They are sRGB, Adobe RGB, and Wide Gamut. There is also a Camera Space option. If this option is set, the color space adjustment is bypassed and the output image RGB values are unadjusted raw camera values

When I look at the Output Color Space drop down list, I don't see the working color space that I set in Color Management Settings in the list. I only see the four mentioned above, viz sRGB, Adobe RGB, Wide Gamut, and Camera Space. How do I ensure that the raw file ends up in my desired working space instead of one of these four?

Cheers, Peter
kevgermany

Re: Raw settings dialog

Post by kevgermany »

either leave it in camera space - or convert to wide gamut, then convert to your working colour space using /transform/colour/change profile (sorry if this isn't quite correct, I'm working from memory). .
Kev

Man is limited by his fears, not his imagination
pbandurian

Post by pbandurian »

I'm sorry, but I don't think that will do. The manual page quoted in the original post specifically says that I can convert directly to the workspace I want to use as set in Color management Settings. At least that seems to me to be the plain meaning of the text. Converting to one of the other spaces unnecessarily increases the number of conversions to get to my desired working space. Also, the work spaces available are small compared to any camera's native color space potentially leading to gamut clipping. I would rather leave the color gamut issues to later in the workflow. Leaving the image data in camera space and manually converting to the desired work space doesn't take advantage of the buried-in-PW camera profile.

Cheers, Peter
kevgermany

Post by kevgermany »

Peter, the reason behind leaving it in the camera space was to prevent clipping. As no conversion takes place, there's no degradation of the image from an unnecessary colour space change. When you do the conversion manually you have all the control you need to convert without clipping. I need to get to my other machine which does have PWP installed to check the other bits.
Kev

Man is limited by his fears, not his imagination