Unnecessary Warning?

Moderator: jsachs

Marpel
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D810

Unnecessary Warning?

Post by Marpel »

I had multiple images open, including a number of pre-made masks (made days earlier). And I had done a vertical column of transformations below one image. The transformations included mostly Drop Shadow, with a few Composites as well.

At one point, as I was clogging up the workspace with too many images, I did a Save As on the last image of that column. I then did Shift + Click on the top image in that column, to capture all the images in the column, and pressed the X in the header of the Image Browser to close all those images.

I was asked to confirm I wished to close the images, but then was met with the warning "Closing the selected transformations will invalidate one or more inputs or masks in other transformations". Presuming this was referring to images/transformations other than the ones I wished to close, and as I had many open image spread across the Browser, I had to spend a bit of time figuring this out.There was nothing outside this column which was impacted by closing these images.

Out of curiosity, I did a bit of experimenting with a row of multiple transformations on a single image. Each time I used pre-made masks, I would get this warning, but did not get the warning if I made "masks on the fly". At least this seemed to be the case.

Regardless of how the masks are made, why is this warning necessary, if the column of images which is being closed only contains ones which have had any transformations? Other images or masks may be open across the Browser, but closing the column would not affect those images/masks? I can understand if a mask or image somewhere in the column was used on a separate Transformation by another image, but not the other way around.

Just curious,

Marv
jsachs

Re: Unnecessary Warning?

Post by jsachs »

I am currently traveling and cannot investigate this until after I return May 15. To check it out, I will need a copy of a workspace script file for your configuration. After loading all the images and transformations, use the Script/Save Workspace Script with Image Names command to save a workspace script file and then email it to me as an attachment at jsachs@dl-c.com.

Without having time to try this out, you can delete an entire branch by selecting just the top level image and closing that, instead of selecting all the images in the branch. Not sure if that would make a difference, but it is something to try.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color