OneDrive and PWP 8

Moderator: jsachs

Robert Schleif

OneDrive and PWP 8

Post by Robert Schleif »

Summary
If Microsoft OneDrive is linked to my computer, PWP 8 will not save to my desktop (Other applications will). This occurs whether or not my Desktop is included in the directories being put in OneDrive.

More Details
PWP 8 apparently always tries to save to OneDrive. As a second example of this behavior, if I try to set Desktop as the custom folder to Export to, I select Desktop under This PC in the File Explorer window and then click the Select Folder button, in the Export transformation window the location for saving is a path to the OneDrive directory, i.e. C:\Users\Schleif\OneDrive. That is, it says it wants to save to OneDrive despite the selection in the File Explorer. This behavior continues if I unlink the computer from OneDrive or if I unlink the computer from OneDrive and restart PWP 8 or if I unlink the computer from OneDrive and reboot the computer (Options set so OneDrive doesn't start on rebooting.) After the rebooting, even though Export cannot forget about OneDrive and says it will save to OneDrive, now it actually does save to my desktop.

I wish I had never heard of OneDrive. Everything worked as expected until I tried to streamline writing a book from two different computers by involving OneDrive. Now I can't make my system forget.
jsachs

Re: OneDrive and PWP 8

Post by jsachs »

There is no code in PWP that deals specifically with OneDrive, so it seems like this is another one of Microsoft's ham handed attempts to get users to use their products over competitors.

Personally, I use Dropbox which has the advantage of being platform-neutral and has been around longer than all the others so they have worked out most of the kinks.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Robert Schleif

Re: OneDrive and PWP 8

Post by Robert Schleif »

Thanks. Dropbox for me. At this point I'd say "ham-handed" is unusually generous.