Coloring and object in a black and white image

Moderator: jsachs

whutch47

Coloring and object in a black and white image

Post by whutch47 »

Years ago, I was able to use PW Pro to select an object in a black and white image and apply a color to it.
For the life of me I can't remember how I did it. It was really quick and uncomplicated. Almost all of you
are so far above me on this. Thanks if you can provide me with a way to accomplish this.

whutch47
jsachs

Re: Coloring and object in a black and white image

Post by jsachs »

There are several ways:

1) If you have already created a mask that selects an area of an image, then you can use the Blend or Composite transformation to add a solid color overlay to the selected area. There are a number of different blending modes available.

2) You can use the Tint transformation with a mask in a similar manner and use a Color Line to define how you want to map different gray levels to different colors.

3) Similarly, you could use Color Balance to apply color to a masked region.

4) If you want to brush color onto a B&W image freehand, you can use the Paint tool. First convert the image to color so you can paint color on it. Then select the Paint tool and choose a Paint mode such as HSV Hue and Saturation Only, HSL Hue and Saturation Only, or Soft Light, and use a very soft, transparent brush so you can control the effect. Use the Color setting to change the color you are painting on the image.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
whutch47

Re: Coloring and object in a black and white image

Post by whutch47 »

Thanks for your reply. All of that would work for a more skilled person. I was looking for something simple
like in using Magic Select in MS Paint 3 D. Like I said, you guys are way beyond my skill level. Thanks again.

I can get MS Paint 3 D to work but it blows up and shuts down when I try to save the resulting image.