Mouse wheel and hovering over the preview area

Moderator: jsachs

pierrelabreche
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon Z8

Mouse wheel and hovering over the preview area

Post by pierrelabreche »

The effect of scrolling the mouse wheel is not immediate when hovering over the preview area, and mouse wheel is enabled by clicking rather than by hovering.

Hopefully, these new observations, using the paint tool, will help in tackling the issue.

Observations :
  1. Initially, the mouse wheel is not associated with the radius slider. If the pointer is moved over the image preview area, the mouse wheel is ineffective in changing the brush radius.
  2. Clicking inside the dialog box has no effect on the mouse wheel.
  3. Clicking anywhere outside of the dialog box enables the mouse wheel to control the radius slider.
    The mouse wheel stays enabled to control the radius slider even when the mouse crosshair or pointer hovers outside of the image preview area, for example over the dialog box.
  4. Clicking the mouse over the main menu enables the mouse wheel to change the tool radius.
  5. Clicking while the pointer is inside the tool dialog box disables the mouse wheel for radius control.
  6. The smudge and clone tools have the same behavior.
Here is what I expected :
  • Immediately upon hovering over the image preview area, the mouse wheel should be enabled for controlling the brush radius.
  • When the mouse pointer is not hovering over the image preview panel, the mouse wheel should not control the radius.
jsachs

Re: Mouse wheel and hovering over the preview area

Post by jsachs »

It works fine here. Do you have or have you ever had a tablet installed on your computer?
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
pierrelabreche

Post by pierrelabreche »

jsachs wrote: November 22nd, 2021, 3:07 pm It works fine here. Do you have or have you ever had a tablet installed on your computer?
I once installed a tablet, Program version 6.3.44-1 from Wacom Technologies. Will uninstall drivers and come back with comments
pierrelabreche

Post by pierrelabreche »

It was not the Tablet software, but ...

I found the Windows 11 setting to fix it.
Under mouse settings, I had to enable "Mouse hover select" to remove the required first click. It now works as expected.
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

Glad you found it -- I didn't see anything in the PWP code that could explain it.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color