Browser thumbnails

Moderator: jsachs

Marpel
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D810

Browser thumbnails

Post by Marpel »

Two issues actually, just didn't want to generate two topics.

- I routinely have done the same thing over the months/years - If I have any images open and wish to close out the program, I will click the "Close al Images" X button, and after receiving the confirmation notice, the images are closed. I have then closed the program by clicking the X, upper right corner.

However, lately, when I open the program, I am receiving the Alert notice "Last session terminated abnormally - restart last autosaved workspace?".

What is this actually telling me, and how do I avoid this Alert?

- Although I realize the size of thumbnails in the Image Browser can be reduced or enlarged, I often have a chain (branch?) of many images to the point of extending past the vertical capacity of the page. Reducing the thumbnail size, of course, allows for more to fit, but that also reduces the thumbnail title heading. Often I am more interested in seeing the heading than the thumbnail image itself.

Can I presume that there is no way to reduce the thumbnails vertically so the image disappears but the heading is still visible?

It would be nice to be able to enlarge the thumbnail so the file number in the initial image shows in the heading (horizontally), but only the headings of all thumbs are visible (that way you can tell which level has had what transform done to it). Often some of the transforms are so subtle that looking at the thumb image is not really helpful, anyway.

Marv
jsachs

Re: Browser thumbnails

Post by jsachs »

The "Last session terminated abnormally" should mean that Picture Window crashed and did not exit the normal way, i.e. by the main window being closed on the File/Quit command. Not sure why you are seeing it if you close PWP normally.

I will think about ways to shrink the thumbnails vertically -- maybe a mode where all but the current one are collapsed or something similar.

Another way to reduce the vertical extent of the image tree is to add a Copy transformation to the workspace -- this is always inserted as a top-level image. Then set the input of the Copy to the last thumbnail in the branch you want to keep from getting any longer. Finally, you can continue to add new transformations after the Copy and the new branch will grow alongside the one it continues. You can always combine the two branches back together by copying all the transformations after the Copy to the original branch.

To break up an existing long branch into two shorter ones, insert a Copy and set it to point to a transformation in the middle of the branch. Then copy all the transformations after the middle one to just below the Copy. Finally, close the now redundant transformations in the original branch below the middle.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Marpel

Post by Marpel »

Jonathan,

Thanks for the quick response.

I can confirm the program is closed normally (by the X, upper right corner).

And thanks for considering the thumbnail matter. I quite like your idea of vertically collapsing all but the current thumbnail. Good idea if it is do-able.

Marv
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

Does it happen if you open and then immediately close PWP? The message occurs if a file named:

C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Local\Picture Window Pro\Crash Recovery.workspace

exists. This file is deleted when you exit PWP normally. If there is some problem with this file and it cannot be deleted, you will get recurring error messages.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

For the next release, there is a button in the image browser that, when depressed, hides all the images so you just get the captions. In addition to being a lot more complicated, the idea of displaying just the current transformation's thumbnail image did not seem worthwhile since the image is displayed full size in the main image area anyway.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Marpel

Post by Marpel »

I will admit I have not paid so close attention to know how long after I open the program that it is closed. I will pay attention to that specifically for the next while.

And your last post makes complete sense.

Marv