Levels and Color

Moderator: jsachs

Marpel
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D810

Levels and Color

Post by Marpel »

I don't think this matters a hill of beans, so just curious.

If I have an image which is less than full dynamic range, for sake of example 55 - 88, and wish to move those sliders to 5 - 98, what is the difference (other than the result) in the following methods?

- Move the highlight slider to 98 and Ok. Move the shadow slider to 5, and OK. The sliders are now at 5 - 98.

- In one operation, move both sliders to the noted points. See below for comments regarding which slider is moved first.

If I then composite the results, using Absolute Difference, it shows a difference (have to use Levels and Color on that image to Full Range to see), even though the end result in all cases is 5 - 98.

There is even a difference with the second method, depending on which slider is moved first, followed by the opposite slider. If the highlight slider is moved first, then shadow, compared to moving the shadow first, then highlight, those two results show a difference as well.

I suppose I can understand the difference when a slider is moved, then OK, followed by moving the other slider, but why is there a difference when both sliders are moved in the same operation?

Marv
jsachs

Re: Levels and Color

Post by jsachs »

It looks like you may be having a problem with the white balance setting. If you accidentally click on the input image, you can change the white balance from Auto to Custom and change the image slightly. In comparing the two versions of Level and Color, make sure the white balance setting is the same in both.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color