AVIF support?

Moderator: jsachs

MarkT

AVIF support?

Post by MarkT »

Just curious if, like HEIC, you might consider supporting the AVIF (AV1) file format, at least for reading. Looks like Android 12 will introduce it (https://developer.android.com/about/ver ... 2/features... about 2/3 way down). The format apparently offers significant file size savings without the artifacts, and is also "royalty free", for what that's worth.

I'm just wondering if I will be able to open and then Save As to another format any AVIF images taken with my Pixel camera?

Thank you
jsachs

Re: AVIF support?

Post by jsachs »

Not sure if there is a Microsoft codec for AVIF that works with WIC which is what I use to decode files. I am researching this as there seems to be a codec you can download from the Microsoft store, but I can't get the information about it I would need to use it.

My Pixel saves raw files as DNG or it saves JPEGs -- admittedly it's not the latest (Pixel 4a 5G). If you Google convert AVIF to TIFF you will see a lot of options.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
MarkT

Post by MarkT »

I also found a site that will convert to and from AVIF: squoosh.app.
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

I found some sample AVIF files to download. It turns out if I changed the extension to .heif, I can open it with PWP. Apparently the HEIF codec can read AVIF files as well. If you have some Pixel files in AVIF, give this a try and let me know if it works.

You may have to install AV1 Video Extension from the Microsoft store to get it to work (see link below).

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/av1-v ... verviewtab

For the next release, PWP recognizes the .AVIF extension and opens the files without having to rename them.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color