Trying to install 7.0.20

Moderator: jsachs

GregL65

Trying to install 7.0.20

Post by GregL65 »

I'm trying to install 7.0.20. It prompts me to save; no option to just install directly. When I click Save, nothing happens. And nothing appears in my Download folder. I've tried waiting hours. I've tried both the 64-bit version and the 32-bit version. Same problem happens trying to download the documentation. Same problem on two different computers.

Any suggestions?
jsachs

Re: Trying to install 7.0.20

Post by jsachs »

It looks like installation is being blocked by Windows for so-called security reasons. You may have to temporarily disable Windows Defender and/or any anti-virus software you are using.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
GregL65

Post by GregL65 »

Thanks, but I tried turning off firewall and anti-virus, and got the same result.

I tried starting up with non-microsoft services turned off in msconfig, and unnecessary startup items turned off in task manager, got the same result.

I turned off the Safe Browsing feature in Chrome, same result.

I tried adding the BypassSSLNoCacheCheck=1 registry setting, same result.

I had been trying in Chrome, so I tried in Edge, same result.

I installed Firefox and... that worked! With no problem at all. I was surprised, I didn't really expect it to work where two other browsers didn''t.

It worked to install the documentation from Firefox too.
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

Thanks for the update -- 7.0.20 has been discontinued for a number of years now and slowly getting further out of date. While PWP 8 is the current version, I understand some prefer the old version.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
GregL65

Post by GregL65 »

Thanks, I was glad to hear you're back in the game with an new version of PWP. I've been using it since v3.5 in 2004, upgraded to v5.0 in 2009. But I don't want to take the time to learn a new interface right now. When I saw that 7.0 was now free, that sounded great. I'm looking forward to the performace improvement from using multiple cores.

I had been slowly migrating to Affinity Photo and Gimp, and today I use all three for most projects. I'd hoped to eventually drop PWP once I knew how to do everthing I needed in those two, in part because I was concerned that eventually it might be incompatible with some future version of Windows. But now maybe it will be PWP after all. If so, I'll need to learn how to do some things I do in Affinity Photo and Gimp that I don't know how to do in PWP.
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

Post here if you need help.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color