Grid and Lines Arrow and Text

Moderator: jsachs

Marpel
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D810

Grid and Lines Arrow and Text

Post by Marpel »

1. I am trying to place a grid on a white document (to be printed for handwritten entries). I can adjust the grid sizes by increasing/decreasing the rows and columns, but it results in a document which has a black border, the same width as the grid lines, around the exterior of the document. I can't seem to find the instructions on how to draft a grid without this border.

2. If I use the Text Transform, and type text in the appropriate box, a bounding box shows on the Input (left) image, which I can move at will. However, if I wish to do multiple text entries and use Lines Arrow and Text (I believe that is the suggested method), and open the Text tab, I can't see or figure out how to get the bounding box to appear. I checked the Help file with no luck.

Any help on both subjects is appreciated.

Marv
jsachs

Re: Grid and Lines Arrow and Text

Post by jsachs »

The Grid transformation does not have an option to omit the outermost grid lines -- I suppose you could crop out the black border and add a white border with the Add Border transformation.

When using the Lines, Arrows and Text tool, you need to do two things to get the bounding box to appear: first you need to click the red running man button to process the text and second you need to shift-click on the input image to place the text on the image. At this point you get a bounding box you can move around. To insert more text, shift-click again somewhere else on the image, etc. Incidentally, there is a problem in recent versions that I am working on with text drop shadows. I hope to upload a fix soon.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Marpel

Post by Marpel »

Thanks for the explanation, on both topics.

Doing as you suggest with the Grid border unfortunately results in a small portion of the grid lines not extending to the edges, and this also wouldn't work so well with a grid over a multi-coloured background.

For the white background,I have been using a manual, somewhat cumbersome method, of painting out the border with a square brush, but this requires patience and precision to delete the border without impacting the grid lines, especially when there are many grid lines. Oh, well.

As to the Text issue, the Lines, Arrow and Text help does not describe the Shift+Click placement method.

For the stand-a-lone Text Transform, however, the bounding box appears as soon as the dialogue appears. And Shift+Click is not necessary. A simple single click suffices (although I think I understand the need for the difference in method as the L, A and T allow for multiple text locations).

This results in (as it did with me) some confusion by the user.

Not complaining, just reporting.

Marv
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

For the next release I added a checkbox to let you omit the outermost grid lines.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Marpel

Post by Marpel »

I have been placing multiple text "blocks" in an image.

My method has been to place some text, within it's bounding box, at a desired position and when satisfied, shift+click another location to duplicate the last bounding box and text, then revise that text. And so on....

After multiple times, I have a number of empty "placeholder" bounding boxes on the left image while, of course, they are mirrored on the output image with the texts.

However, I have occasionally found some errors in prior boxes, which I need to revise. I'm sure there is a method to revisit each box, but I can't figure it out. If I click on one of the boxes to revise, I just get a line from the last box to the box I just clicked in. Checked the Help file and unable to locate the answer.

And, a minor issue on another topic - When using the Paint tool, it appears one cannot place a single click (eg to make a round/square solid shape). You must click two times before the mark appears. Placing a line seems to work, but not single click.

Marv
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

To edit a control point, you first need to click on it. This involves locating the small circle that forms the text alignment point until the cursor changes to a cross before you click. If you click somewhere else, it will start drawing a line from the current control point to where you clicked.

Single shot painting seems to work OK here using the mouse -- are you trying to paint with the tablet?
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Marpel

Post by Marpel »

Thanks for the help with Text.

And, no, I was not using a tablet. I used the mouse and the first click does not register. Every single click after that (during that operation) shows immediately.

Marv
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

Can you post a screen shot of the Paint dialog box so I can see what settings you are using?
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Marpel

Post by Marpel »

I will do that.

In the meantime, for the last week or so (after returning from a trip, during which the computer was left turned off), I am getting the "Connection is not private...." "Certificate date invalid" messages each time I try to visit this site. I have to go to the advanced tab and click on "Proceed anyway". Today, I had to do this each time to visit the site, then visit the forum, then log in.

If I recall correctly, this occurred a few years back, but can't recall the fix. Is this an issue at my end (nothing has changed recently), or at your end?

Marv
Marpel

Post by Marpel »

I grabbed a screenshot and while doing so, I thought about your comment regarding painting with a tablet. I noticed that the Stylus Pressure shows (default?) "Controls Opacity". I changed this to "Ignore" and was able to paint on the first click. Returning to the prior setting, again requires two clicks. And this was while using the mouse.
Paint-Settings.jpg
Paint-Settings.jpg (24.42 KiB) Viewed 3146 times