preferences & scripts

Moderator: jsachs

rfuerman
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: sony rx100iii

preferences & scripts

Post by rfuerman »

Hello.
1) - menu | file | Preferences
Made some preference changes which I want to save - must go to help file to learn that I must close the dlg to get to the save option. Suggest that Preferences dialog should have OK/cancel/default buttons:
[OK] - save current session changes & close. Dispense with save-confirm popup
[Cancel] - do not save changes; return to previous settings & close dlg.
[Default] - return to PWP default settings; do not close dlg
User must refer to help file to discover that current [Reset] button discards current changes (=cancel) and does not reset to PWP defaults, which is the other possibility!
This is more consistent with other PW dlgs which have the OK/cancel buttons
2) - script file
Attempting (after many months) to run a simple script to resize some images and of course I have now suppressed all script memories.
Saved script starts with 'file open multiple' dlg, so I select multiple images but only one image appears in image browser. After some false starts, it appears I must select the top, 'file open' transform to open the second 'file open(2)' dialog.
a) Second file open(2) dialog should pop up automatically following the 'file open multiple' dlg selection as it appears user must do something here to process multiple files. Or perhaps the script 'file open multiple' command should go directly to this 'file open(2)' or batch dialog?
b) confusing to have two 'file open' dialogs. Second could be labeled 'batch file open' 'batch processing' or ??
c) the 'file remove' button tool tip says 'delete all...' which is not correct. And the trash can icon is generally used to delete files, so this is a lot misleading.
Thank you, Bob
jsachs

Re: preferences & scripts

Post by jsachs »

The more modern design trend in dialog boxes as implemented on phones and tablets does away with the OK and Cancel buttons and I was experimenting with this when I rewrote File Preferences. I think I agree the old OK/Cancel works better.

Concerning batch processing, there is a description of using this feature in Batch Processing.pdf with examples. There is also a section in the help file on Batch Processing with much of the same material.

There is only one File Open transformation dialog box -- this can be used to select a different file for processing as well as to start a batch process, so calling it Batch Processing would not really be right either. The File Open command creates a File Open transformation as a side effect -- editing the transformation brings up the transformation dialog box. While this may seem awkward at first, it was the best design I could think of that supports easy opening of files, re-opening files when running scripts, and batch operations.

The tool tip for the trash can says Delete all selected files from the list which is what it does.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color