Paint Amount control recalculation

Moderator: jsachs

davidh

Paint Amount control recalculation

Post by davidh »

I was surprised to find out that when I scalled back a bit the transparency of the Paint tool using the Amount control, and then clicked OK, the change was not propagated downstream. The subsequent transformations were not recalculated.

However the recalcualtion can be triggered by deactivating and reactivating Paint using its bypass button.
jsachs

Re: Paint Amount control recalculation

Post by jsachs »

This was the result of an overly aggressive optimization that, on changes to the Amount control, does not force all the current strokes to be recomputed. Same bug in Clone and Smudge.

Fixed for next release.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
davidh

Post by davidh »

A few more comments on tools.

Some time ago I had a workspace script with two tools in succession Paint (darkening part of the image) followed by Clone (shifting a small detail of the image a bit to the left).
When I then reopened the Paint to add a few more strokes and clicked OK, the detail in the Clone image got shifted far more to the left.
When I reopened the Clone, the detail jumped back to the correct position. Bypassing refreshed the rest of the tree.

The same happened after closing PWP and loading the workspace script. The detail in the Clone image was shifted far to left, reopening the Clone put it right and bypassing refreshed the rest of the tree.

It seemed to me as if there was some conflict between the two tools following each other regarding succession of the strokes and their saving to the script.
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

Can you check if it is still doing this in the latest release?
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
davidh

Post by davidh »

As I was no longer able able to check it on the script I mentioned, I created a test one reduced only to Paint and Clone. There still might be be a kind of problem when you try to undo and redo last strokes of Clone. It is a different behaviour from the one I described before and agan it is difficult to simulate. Or at least I have failed to discover the culprit step or steps.

1. I started with a gray square inside a white one.
2. Used Paint to scrawl something over the gray square.
3. Cloned part of it to the left.
4. Reopened the Clone and undid and redid the last stroke and got what is in the second image at the bottom.

But when I tried to repeat the same proces again and again several times everything worked well.
I also remember that at some point I quite possibly might (unnecessarily) press Shift key while taking clone. (Bad habit) A clue?

I attached the zipped workspace script if this can provide any clue. Which I am not sure of.
Attachments
Paint and Clone.zip
(4.82 KiB) Downloaded 145 times
Paint and Clone.png
Paint and Clone.png (9.64 KiB) Viewed 2884 times
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

OK, thanks -- I'll take a look.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
davidh

Post by davidh »

I have added some more images.

The are two scenarios.
In scenario one I only cloned away part of the image and used some Undo/Redo
In scenario two I first cloned something away, copied the rest and then undid last operation.

If I couId guess the problem is only in Clone. Paint has nothing to do with it.
I remember that when I was working with the original image I was trying to copy the top of a church tower behing battlements and make it a bit hazy or vague. That needed a lot of switching between Copy and Paint, undoing and redoing until I overcomplicated it. I did not like the result anyway and threw it away.
I did not report it at that time because with that many repeated steps and clicking I would not be able to provide any sensible description or a clue.
Attachments
Paint and Clone 2.png
Paint and Clone 2.png (136.02 KiB) Viewed 2874 times
Paint and Clone 2.zip
(7.17 KiB) Downloaded 142 times
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

Thanks, I am able to reproduce the problem here, and I think I have found the source of the problem.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
davidh

Post by davidh »

There is one more thing I have discovered.

The second image shows the result after I used Clone in Lighten only mode sourcing the lower right square and clicked OK.
The third image shows the result after I reopened the second image, used Clone in Darken only mode sourcing the lower left square (now light brown), clicked OK and reopened the transformation.

Apparently the probe sourced the original brown color instead of the new light brown. It looks as if the light brown color was not saved though it was visible covering the brown.
Attachments
Clone problem.png
Clone problem.png (20.01 KiB) Viewed 2844 times
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

I think these are all different manifestations of the same bug.

Try downloading this as-yet unreleased experimental new version and let me know if you are still having problems:

http://www.dl-c.com/Documents/PW 8.0.232.zip
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color