Strange things happen to EXIF

Moderator: jsachs

croos

Strange things happen to EXIF

Post by croos »

I'm still using PWP 7. I know PWP strips out most EXIF tags but at least leave some in, as for example camera and date. All of a sudden some JPGs get all tags stripped. The only thing there is this.

Code: Select all

Filename - xxx.jpg
Software - Picture Window Pro 64  v7.0.20
Can something I do cause this? It's hard to believe it's a bug in PWP since it has never happened before, not that I've noticed anyway. I typically convert the RAW files in darktable and do editing in PWP and save the final image as JPG. I've checked that the missing data is still there in the TIFF that darktable produces. Whatever happens happens in PWP.

I edited about 14 images the other day. This happened to 4 of them. The others were fine. I used basically the same workflow for all of them.
jsachs

Re: Strange things happen to EXIF

Post by jsachs »

Sorry, I am no longer supporting PWP 7 and do not have the tools available to research this issue.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
croos

Post by croos »

Thank you for answering anyway. Maybe someone else has experienced this issue?
Charles2
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Fuji X-Pro 2

Post by Charles2 »

Tests to get to the problem:
Look at the Exif data for the image in PWP.
Save a .tif from PWP and look at its Exif data.
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

You can use ExifTool to copy the EXIF data from one image to another -- this is actually what PWP 8 does when saving files. You could use this as a workaround to restore the EXIF data to the JPEGs that are missing it.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
ksinkel

Post by ksinkel »

In PWP 7, the JPEG Save dialog gives you the option to strip or save comments. The dialog typically defaults to its last setting. So perhaps the Include Comments checkbox was unchecked at some point. Make sure it is checked to preserve the comments.

Kiril
Kiril Sinkel
Digital Light & Color