Masking and tools

Moderator: jsachs

Robert Schleif

Masking and tools

Post by Robert Schleif »

Using F3-F4 in masking to control whether a mask is to be added to or subtracted from proves not to be as convenient as I had hoped. Two factors are responsible. First, the positions of F3 and F4 are such that it is awkward and tiring for me to hold my hand where I can strike them. Second, to determine which mode I'm in, sometimes I have to look back at the masking dialog box and then back to my image. Possible cures are: use different keys instead of F3 and F4, and to make a plus or minus sign part of the cursor when adding or subtracting to masks.

When the question of using keys to shift modes arose some time ago, it was mentioned that there were few keys left available. This raises the question of how to easily determine what are the keystroke shortcuts that PWP uses? I think it would be most useful to add a tool that displays in a window the various keystroke shortcuts that PWP uses. It would also be nice if one could reassign different keys to the shortcuts. Finally, on the subject of tools, a notepad tool where I could write brief messages to myself would be a real convenience.
jsachs

Re: Masking and tools

Post by jsachs »

Maybe if you drag the Mask dialog box over closer to where you are working on the image you will not need keyboard shortcuts. You can minimize the Mask Dialog box if you need to get it out of the way and then restore it from the task bar.

You can add comments to any transformation by right-clicking on its thumbnail and selecting Add Caption or Comment. The comment is basically like using Notepad and has the advantage that it is saved with the script file so it remains associated with the image.

Also, there is a list of all the keyboard shortcuts in the help file under General Tips.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Robert Schleif

Post by Robert Schleif »

Yes, I know there is a list of the keyboard shortcuts somewhere, but when immersed in working on an image, the effort of finding it is pretty high compared to proceeding without it. One click to see the list would be nice.
One of my uses of a general PWP internal notepad would be to contain the names of some of the transforms, as there are a few for which I would have used a different name. When I need one of these, I hit the spacebar, and then look through the long list (It would help if the list were more logically organized, but I admit that developing a logical structure encompassing most of the PWP transformations is no small task). A note internal to a transformation can't help me here.
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

I added an item to the Help menu for Keyboard Shortcuts so you can find the help topic without searching for it.

Why not use Notepad to keep your private list of hints and keep that open on the task bar.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
tomczak
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Fuji X-E2

Post by tomczak »

When I need one of these, I hit the spacebar, and then look through the long list...
Hitting a '/' or a '.' buttons will bring up a list of Favorites instead of all the transformations (when you hit the space bar). Maybe you could put those that you have your own nicknames for in there to find them easier?
Maciej Tomczak
Phototramp.com
Robert Schleif

Post by Robert Schleif »

Thank you for some helpful suggestions.